Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Purple VP Calais

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
So I've been a bit lazy the past few days but I went and got my flywheel bolts this afternoon and put on my flywheel, clutch and put the gearbox back in.

13928019037870_zps3251a7af.jpg

So tomorrow I have to also not be lazy and bolt up my tailshaft, shifter and exhaust! Then hopefully make a start on the other things. Can't forget to top her up with oil either :)

Need a spare tailshaft yolk. Lol!

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just took it for a spin. So much nicer and smoother now. No clutch slamming or slipping. And it's nice and heavy :D

Going on holiday so the other stuff will have to wait.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok so back from holiday and back into it.

Fixed my front deathtrap brakes today! New slotted rotors and qfm pads.

13940888275480_zps1b7fe8c5.jpg

As you can see the old ones were pretty worn. One was also warped and you can see where it's worn a few slots out of existence lol. The pads didn't look too good either.

13940888448461_zpse82d07c8.jpg

So rear pads and rotors tomorrow, some new fluid and a good bleed.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
So rear rotors and pads are in and so are the shockers. System bled up pretty easy and only used one a little bit bottles of fluid.

The rear end feels allot firmer now with the new short shockers in and I hope it helps with the old axle tramp a bit!

Also just enquired about a new variable steering rack. Might need to change the pump aswell because it's pretty darn noisy. Have a few spare angines around so I'm sure one of them can donate :D

13942637626050_zps72fc8ff9.jpg

13942637717571_zps7baf02b2.jpg

Got a cheap rear muffler off someone that just needed it to pass epa. So I might tack that after dinner. Hopefully the old one isn't rusted on too tight! Haha

13942637806672_zps7dafb674.jpg

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well there's been a bit going on with this lately. There was a huge rattling/grinding sound comming from my engine. So I took it out to put in one of my spare motors. Anyway when I took the gearbox off I saw that all the flywheel bolts where comming out. So silly me has not locktighted them and hasn't done them up properly. So I thought while the motor was out I'd fix up some of the leaks.

5D2774DF-BD47-4F92-8856-756576463B6C_zpsedceusjh.jpg

So here's the engine after some maintenance and a bit of a scrub. Did I let manifold, rocker cover, timing cover, sump gaskets and the front + rear main seals. Timing chain was within spec an the oil pump had no visible scouring which was great. I cosidered doing and maybe should have done the head gaskets but ended up not bothering. So hopefully they will hold out for me lol.

F74206D1-2919-4B05-8E5A-E88786F06AF5_zpsl5euwnwk.jpg

Here is my very filthy engine bay.

43090D41-7B7F-4181-8A3D-B1715FA87F41_zpszjaxvxkm.jpg

8AD6EBA2-616D-4122-879E-318DC64E4FE2_zpsslaznrem.jpg

So a big brush, toothbrush, some petrol, degreaser, a gerni and some time later and it looked a bit better.

7507F9EA-3087-4E4D-B6E0-25D226E7B325_zps2ni1rdmi.jpg

So it's back in now with a few things left to do. Need to put all the usual stuff back on like the radiator and wiring. Then new fluids and plugs and hopefully it's running like a dream. :D

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
Wow, loose flywheel bolts could have ended alot worse!
Were you reusing the genuine torque to yield bolts or an aftermarket setup?

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry didn't see your post man! I was using some stainless ones I got from a bolt shop. I tried to re use the factory ones but they kept breaking. I think they're a one use deal. This time I got some new stainless ones and locktighted them. They are holding up good after a month. They should be fine now with the locktight and I torqued them all the same with my torque wrench.

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
Yeah i think that's the ticket, i had a terrible time with the OEM TTY bolts, and if you put all 8 in and snap one, that's 70 bucks down the drain!

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
fk my thrust bearing is starting to break!!

the friction point dropped heaps on the way home :( by the time i got home there was no clutch left. at the last set of lights i had to turn it off, jam it into first, get it rolling with the starter motor and rev match the gears back to mine. I checked through where my clutch fork goes in and the thrust bearing is startingto break and the fork isn't where it's meant to be on the bearing. Pain in the arse! So there's allot of slack on the cable. made a temp fix and spaced it out with a garden hose fitting (hehe not dodgy at all). i'm going to order a metal thrust bearing from mal wood to put in when this one totaly lets go. anyway i hope this holds up for a bit because I'm reeaally sick of taking off my gearbox haha.

IMG_01691_zps6f08bfa4.jpg

Forgot to mention. I finally found a single calais wheel on ebay. So soon i'll be saying goodbye to the old cop magnet stockies.

Last edited:

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
You and I aren't doing well with out gearboxes hahahah!
Why did the bearing go? Is it an issue with the fork that caused the bearing to fail?