Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pushing Caliper Piston in When Changing Pads and Pumping the Pedal

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I bought a new ToolPro 18 PCE disc brake pad and caliper service tool kit to push the piston in when changing brake pads along with a Toledo brake bleeder & fluid extractor 1L to bleed the lines but im not sure if I have to pump the brake pedal after the new pads are in and to do this before I bleed the lines, ie:

1. remove brake fluid cap in engine bay
2. take caliper off and remove old pads
3. use ToolPro service tool kit to push the piston in
4. put new pads in and replace caliper
5. do as above for other 3 wheels
6. pump brake pedal about 6 times to push pistons back out
7. bleed brake lines using Toledo extractor in correct order

Is the above correct? I'm doing this on my own hence the Toledo extractor with an air compressor.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
All you're doing when you pump the pedal is resettling the pads in the calipers. Dont need to, but wont hurt if you do either.

Also, you'll want to suck a little bit of brake fluid out of the reservoir before you push the pads back.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
They say for ABS you should open the bleeder nipple before pushing the pistons back to avoid damage, don't no if its true or not just seen it on a U-Tube video, I've never have and hasn't hurt my vehicle.
Remember you always start from the back left then back right front left then front right.
Make sure there no bubbles in the tube then tighten.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
i sucked as much out of the m/c, refill with new fluid and flush with the piston pushed in to get as much old fluid out of the caliper
you can crack the bleed nipple as you are pushing the piston in so the old fluid dosen t mix with the new

left rear is the longest just and keep your eye on the reservoir keep topping it up
i have a air bleeder and it came with a bottle you fill and put in the reservoir
best 20 odd bucks from ebay just makes brake flushing a breeze

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
i sucked as much out of the m/c, refill with new fluid and flush with the piston pushed in to get as much old fluid out of the caliper
you can crack the bleed nipple as you are pushing the piston in so the old fluid dosen t mix with the new

left rear is the longest just and keep your eye on the reservoir keep topping it up
i have a air bleeder and it came with a bottle you fill and put in the reservoir
best 20 odd bucks from ebay just makes brake flushing a breeze
And its good to remove transmission fluid before removing the pan, no mess.

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Thanks everyone, one last question starting from the rear left is it ok to suck as much brake fluid out of the reservoir in the engine bay then push the piston in and then once the caliper is back in the car with new brake pads suck whatever is back in the reservoir out and repeat for the other 3 wheels and then fill the reservoir to start the bleeding process or does doing it this way cause too much air to get in the lines?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Thanks everyone, one last question starting from the rear left is it ok to suck as much brake fluid out of the reservoir in the engine bay then push the piston in and then once the caliper is back in the car with new brake pads suck whatever is back in the reservoir out and repeat for the other 3 wheels and then fill the reservoir to start the bleeding process or does doing it this way cause too much air to get in the lines?
WTF.

Step 1. suck out old fluid in the reserve and wipe out clean.

Step 2. Fill reserve with correct fluid with a different color if u can.

step 3. With wheels off crack bleeder with hose attached.

Step 4. remove and replace pads.

Step 5. Starting from back left start your flush until your new fluid shows up and looks clean with no air bubbles, do nipple up. (Note don't let your reserve run out.)

Step 6. Repeat process with other 3 lines keeping a eye on fluid level in your reserve.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute