Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

put in 3.5 litres of tranny fluid still not enough wtf?

Gazza2005au

Reaction score
i just replaced my old warn out gearbox on my vn i bought a 4 litre bottle of transmission fluid put 3.5 litres into the box when the car is cold and sitting (unstarted) it shows up on the dip stick as full but when the car is started its bairly on the stick how many litres do these gearboxes take? i have checked the dipstick tube is positioned properly and bolted to the main gearbox bolt weird thing is this dipstick tube wasnt botled to the gearbox/motor when i pulled it out
any help much appreciated :thumbsup:

rredbeak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Lexcen commodore
Some Auto gearboxes take near double that depending on wether or not you run a trans cooler..

You Should ALWAYS check and top up the oil with the gearbox at operating temp... Id recomend you run it for 14 or so KMs the top it up to the full mark. Of course,do it on level ground... HTH.. Rod

Gazza2005au

Reaction score
thanks for the reply rredbeak but im not game enough not untill i atlease get it to the low mark on the dipstick btw its a standard 89 vn

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
I think the dry refill is 6.8 ltrs, and service refill is 4.8 ltrs from memory/

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
missus (in more ways than one)
spot on with the service refil but the total dry refil is 11 litres, so that is the pan and main componants take 4.8lt whereas the radiator cooler/converter take the other 6.2
i remember replaaced motor and filled it up i toook it up the street and it woudnt change, or slipping real bad, but dont be afraid to start it and let it warm up, then with your foot flat on the brake move it through the gears slowly thru park nuetral drvie etc, then back in park, and while it's still idleing check it then, also dont be decived by high markings as the tube will fill up then slowly drain if you know what i mean,

Gazza2005au

Reaction score
hey fellas im about to change another gearbox but this car has a oil cooler will i need to bleed the air from the oil cooler or will it work its way out?

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy v6 manual ute
I think you best do a bit more reading on what you are doing specially on how much tranny fluid you need.:my:
also when filling it up from dry you need an assistant to help run it through the gears while your filling it up (IYKWIM) other wise you wont get fluid up to the torque converter.
and yeah they can take up to 11 litres of fluid too.

LowVp

VP Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute 3.8T T56
hey fellas im about to change another gearbox but this car has a oil cooler will i need to bleed the air from the oil cooler or will it work its way out?

no as the cooler is on the return side of things, the air will get pushed back to the sump of the tranny and then it will just be released via the breather or the dipstick tube

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
did i hear you say you replaced teh gear box? if you did some escapes out the back of the box through the extension housing seal this would explain your level and what mack said the converter needs to fill up to operate,

start her up let it idle for 10-20 mins turn it off
then check the box
dump it in gear a few times and if it holds gear its fine, if it slips its not.. remember every slip is a burn on your clutches so dont hammer it if it does slip