Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

putting 6x9s under parcel shelf

EGG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
It took a while, but it was worth it. I'll take a pic if someone really wants one, but I'd rather not as it means pulling the back seat/shelf out again and I've been enjoying having a car not in pieces lately.

Anyway, take the back seat out, the lower half needs to be shoved back into the car to unhook it from a couple of rungs. Unscrew the bottom of the top part of the seat and lift it straight up.

There's 6 plugs holding the parcel shelf in, pull them out, lift the parcel shelf up and squeeze the side nearest you a bit to fit it past the window pillar trim.

There's brackets in there holding I think.. 5" or something speakers, unscrew the speakers and take them out. The speaker brackets are held in with 4 spot welds. Get in the boot and drill them out from beneath by just drilling straight through. Don't completely destroy the brackets, you'll need them.

You'll need to drill holes about 1cm to get through the spot welds, some yanking might be needed then. Anyway, mark out the shape of the 6x9s on the brackets and hacksaw out the middle parts. My old man ground the brackets into shape on a grinder out the back here, so hopefully you've got one of them.

After that, drill through holes in the bracket to hold the 6x9s in, you can get 3 holes through, but not 4. Maybe somewhere there are brackets for 6x9s that would fit easily, it'd certainly make this bit easier.

At any rate, screw the 6x9's into the bracket and start measuring up to make sure it all fits back on the shelf. You might find you'll have to lengthen the original holes you put through the brackets getting them out, in order to fit them back in with the 6x9s in. You'll probably also need to glue down some thin rubber pads to stop the speakers from touching straight onto the metal of the shelf. I also put in some ~1cm high rubber stops under where the brackets are screwed back into the shelf. Just rectangular pieces of rubber with 2 holes in each to pass the bolts through.

On the passengers side, there's a couple of nuts holding on another bracket, which is the top of the jack-holder-thing near the spare wheel well.

I had to pull the entire jack-holder out of my car to get the left speaker in. Trying to remember how it comes out.. I think you unscrew the top... bashing the bolts with a hammer didn't work... I think I might have drilled something out or something...

Anyway, speakers fitted in fine after that, hooked them up to the amp and put the back together.

It was a bit of effort, but was definately worth it. I'm not sure whether or not mucking around with stuff welded onto the frame has affected the legality of my car or not, but for a pair of crappy speaker brackets I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

My old man helped a lot with getting them in, so having someone really mechanically minded and with a shed full of tools helps. If anyone wants more details on part of the install yell out.

Soybean

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 5-speed
some pics would be nice, currently mine are sittin in brackets i made out of wood, sitting about an inch above parcel shelf.

dontsailbackwards

I didn't do it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V6 '94
If you've cut out any section oid the parcel shelf out then you're in trouble - that's illegal and your car can be failed for it. No more donuts for you!

I mounted 6x9's on my rear parcel shelf in those black plastic pods - not the most attractive solution but I didn't have to cut anything and the original speakers and grilles will fit straight back in.