Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Putting a 202 red motor into a Vs burnout car

Angel Lucas

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Commodore
Heyy all. Just wanting to get some advice on whether it is possible to put a red 202 motor into a Vs burnout ute and if so what would need to be done for it to work.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Possible yes. Just use a 6 cyl subframe from an early girl Commodore and it should bolt straight in, use the rear half of the VS driveshaft and the front half of the early girl and it should fit. Not sure on gearbox cross member. Strip out the original engine wiring loom and add the few wires needed for the 202 engine.

I'm sure this has been done before too.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Any reason you want to run a red as aposed to an Eco? Red motors are not as common as they were 30 years ago.

Angel Lucas

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Commodore
Possible yes. Just use a 6 cyl subframe from an early girl Commodore and it should bolt straight in, use the rear half of the VS driveshaft and the front half of the early girl and it should fit. Not sure on gearbox cross member. Strip out the original engine wiring loom and add the few wires needed for the 202 engine.

I'm sure this has been done before too.
Thank you will let my son know. He just bought himself a Vs ute to build into a burnout car, no motor or box. He has put his old motor and box from his old Vs into it, but the people he bought the ute off of have butchered the wiring and he can't get any power to it except for the wipers. I suggested he do a carby motor in it as alot easier to work with .