Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Putting a car of our vintage away in storage

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Something else to think about ….. what do you drive when the Jeep reliability prevents you from SRTing.

What is the cost of rego, CTP and laid-up insurance ? A cup of McCafe coffee, or a pie with sauce per day ? A cheap restaurant lunch will set you back $25 per head.

That may be the case, however if the alternative is sell it, I would rather agree to the wife’s terms.

We have another car in the event the SRT throws a tantrum

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've always felt it is best to enjoy your vehicles as they are simply a depreciating asset that continues to loose value over a long period of time.

Hopefully the VF's uniqueness is something that at some point is recognised within the market place. Sadly such things usually occurs either when they are new in the very short term (due to limited release or artificial constraints causing price hikes and dealer gouging) or in the longer term when they are much older (few left due to they've all being crashed, crushed or rusted away). Values can start to climb but this can take decades and often such market recognition simply never occurs with some vehicles, most vehicles.

Now putting a vehicle into storage can be a rather involved process depending on how often you want to access to drive your vehicle. Basically your storage preparation workload increases as the storage period increases. In a corresponding sence, the effort to put the vehicle back on the road also is proportional to your storage period. Here is a web page that can give you a detailed hint at classic car storage preparation.

Me, i'd enjoy the use of my car though i don't like paying rego, insurance and maintenance dollars. But hey nothing is free, even storage costs.

Cheers.

Yes I have enjoyed driving the last 4 years, and perhaps when finance allow my wife may allow me to turn it into a Sunday car..... and I can put heads and cam package on it, but until then, it’s either sell or storage.

My calais is black with the cream leather, and this combo is relatively rare...... I am hopeful it may one day (circa 20-30 years) be a climbing asset with the right care.

In any event, I am just stoked I get to keep it, even if I can only look at it, and start it up every couple of months!

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
I dont think any VF deriviant will appreciate for the next 10 years except possibly w1 and gtsr. that said there are no more so extrememly well kept, low number, low k examples may have a quicker return than others.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
That may be the case, however if the alternative is sell it, I would rather agree to the wife’s terms.

The age old, alternative to a man's dilemma .............. Happy wife, happy life.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
The age old, alternative to a man's dilemma .............. Happy wife, happy life.
If you don't have sex with your wife does that make her more valuable to the next guy ???And is it really worth it

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Your better to buy and enjoy an appreciating asset......AND USE IT.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Your better to buy and enjoy an appreciating asset......AND USE IT.

As I have said many times......... the option I have is instead of having to sell it, and the money go back into the ether of “family use”

At least this way I get to keep it, and it may change in the future

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
As I have said many times......... the option I have is instead of having to sell it, and the money go back into the ether of “family use”

At least this way I get to keep it, and it may change in the future
Good for you Dave....we’re hoping to keep both the ute & wagon for as long as I/we can still drive, if not longer.

Nothing to do with wishful appreciation but rather the uniqueness of having Aussie built vehicles combined with the uniqueness of a sedan based ute & an affordable and brilliant V8 wagon.

Each of ours will only see 10-12k a year as we have a 4 cylinder run about that sees all of the local/urban driving...apart from trips for large items/to the tip etc with the ute. Each to their own but I just couldn’t lock either of them away and not use them.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Cheers.

Yes I have enjoyed driving the last 4 years, and perhaps when finance allow my wife may allow me to turn it into a Sunday car..... and I can put heads and cam package on it, but until then, it’s either sell or storage.

My calais is black with the cream leather, and this combo is relatively rare...... I am hopeful it may one day (circa 20-30 years) be a climbing asset with the right care.

In any event, I am just stoked I get to keep it, even if I can only look at it, and start it up every couple of months!
Bit the same my jan 16 build has done 6k(kids, broken left arm with 2 screws in it and work grr), just start up once a month and go up the street run a/c etc. As stated used shannons laid up insurance. If you can keep it do it.