Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Putting a VT 304 v8 into a VN v6 ute

Royz_vn44

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn executive
Hi guys I have a 1991 5 speed manual Ute with a buik under the hood, im looking at replacing it with a 304 out of a VT as I hear they are the go. just hoping to get a few answers on some things as I'm pretty new to the vn scene.

1, could I use the VT engine mounts on the VN?

2, I heard some people use the same drive train (after a few mods) as there a strong gearbox. My gearbox is almost needing a rebuild so I thought if build it to suit the 304 I could maybe save a dollar or end up with something better if so how would that work with the wiring loom?
Or is it easier to use a 304 gearbox if so would it bolt on?
Thanks

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Ideally complete setup out of v8 vn-p is what you want...basically all bolts in & wiring plugs up no mods.

Next would be vr-s...bolts straight in just needs wiring mods,vats turned off & speedo corrector.

Basically want from radiator/crossmember to front half of tailshaft including powersteer setup...auto easiest to find.

Most of vt gear would need changing + above changes.

v6 t5 has super short 1st gear & ford 6cyl t5 conversion more common/cheaper/better

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Will need a front crossmember and mounts from a V8 VN, VP, VR or VS

It would be easiest to get a VN V8 ecu, wiring loom and VN or VP V8 tranny will just bolt in. Any other tranny or ecu will need mods.

Only the VT basic motor could be used, all Bolt ons will need to be VN, VP or some VR, VS will suit.

Royz_vn44

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn executive
Hmm yeah sounds like it would make my life alot easier usuing one from a VN. was only thinking VT as it has roller cam and I'm always looking for the best version haha

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Hardly see vn/p drivelines now & usually need rebuild...vr/s not far behind just easier to find particularly auto.

vr/s engine & t5 manual setup pop up occasionally for more coin to the point you'll start looking at ls donor cars....down rabbit hole it goes haha

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Just be aware the V6 boxes have a different bellhousing, flywheel, and (apparently) a different length input shaft that don't suit the 304. Might be set back further/shorter tail shaft to accommodate the extra length of the 304 (or the length may be accommodated within the different bellhousing or yoke).

Royz_vn44

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn executive
So 304 from a vr-s should bolt on that including accessories?
And the same with gearbox?
Hard to find anything manual these days..

Royz_vn44

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn executive
Just be aware the V6 boxes have a different bellhousing, flywheel, and (apparently) a different length input shaft that don't suit the 304. Might be set back further/shorter tail shaft to accommodate the extra length of the 304 (or the length may be accommodated within the different bellhousing or yoke).
So Ive heard, thinking it might be easier to wait for a manual from a 304 to pop up

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
vr/s air con lines & wiring/vats/speedo differences...mechanicals from the v8 donor car will bolt up

other way around it is change to vn/p v8 engine harness,ecu & dissy with your vg/p speedo sensor

First you have to see what driveline you can actually find then work out what's needed or worth it.