Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Putting bigger rims on VY UTE??

mawsy

giggity giggity
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ UTE
okay, so ATM the fat ass on my driveway has the standard suspension with king springs in (KSSL) and i was wondering if i was to chuck, oh lets say some 20's on her, would i need to get the rest of the suspension upgraded with a camber kit and a more heavy duty set of struts and shocks? i want it to ride sort of good, and i know twenties might make it a bit worse than it is now but i don't want it to feel like i am sitting on the bitumen when i'm driving around. rough cost would also be greatly appreciated! and i want the best stuff, not the cheapest stuff, budget of about $1500.. :)

LthlThrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VU II SS
w/ a budget of about 1500 ther is not many nice 20" rims you could get w/ decent rubbers on them, when i was shopping round for my rims, i originally was going to get 19" on my VT, and they said that the rubbers would need to get changed every 5 to 8 thousand k's and i would feel every bump i went over, and if i was to hit a pot hole i would probably damage the rim and be up for another one, as the bigger they get the weaker they are, and also the less rubber goes on them. so i imagine 20" would need alot of maintenence and looking after. but they would definatly be more noticable though.

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
w/ a budget of about 1500 ther is not many nice 20" rims you could get w/ decent rubbers on them, when i was shopping round for my rims, i originally was going to get 19" on my VT, and they said that the rubbers would need to get changed every 5 to 8 thousand k's and i would feel every bump i went over, and if i was to hit a pot hole i would probably damage the rim and be up for another one, as the bigger they get the weaker they are, and also the less rubber goes on them. so i imagine 20" would need alot of maintenence and looking after. but they would definatly be more noticable though.

I used to read this about 19's all the time, but provided you don't cheap out and buy crap wheels they won't buckle very easily, that and i got about 15,000km's out of a set of Nexen N3000's with crappy camber AND thrashing it around a fair bit.
Only problem I had was when I put my camber kit in I had to get the rear guards rolled as they tried to cut the tyres off the rims...

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
$1500 for wheels and tyres gets you nice 19" and 20" from our sponser the wheel deal

LthlThrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VU II SS
i was just going by what i was told, are nexens a good tire?, but i didnt think that a set of 20's w/ tires could be that cheap new.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
i've heard good things about them too..

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
What eva u do, dont get Nankangs, not grip wat so eva in the wet.

TJ2009

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy 04 Series 2 Cosmo
i was just going by what i was told, are nexens a good tire?, but i didnt think that a set of 20's w/ tires could be that cheap new.

Quite simply, nope