Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Putting in a cam

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
you also realise that when you are on your P's you are not supposed to drive a modified car, hence stock cam. But I would say you would have to be fairly unlucky to get done for it as its internalengine work, like rockers, but yeah just giving you the heads up. Although every P plater re-does their exhaust and no one gets done for that, so I dont know what to believe anymore.

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
you also realise that when you are on your P's you are not supposed to drive a modified car, hence stock cam. But I would say you would have to be fairly unlucky to get done for it as its internalengine work, like rockers, but yeah just giving you the heads up. Although every P plater re-does their exhaust and no one gets done for that, so I dont know what to believe anymore.

i honestly think you only get pulled over if you doing somthing stupid. My last car was a vs v6 with cam heads exhaust etc etc. was really loud and had some lump. Never once got pulled over in it. Now i drive a worked v8 with the same sorta mods. again never pulled over. Both cars ive been on my p's. It all comes down to how you drive i think.

VTmadS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1

I understand that, but as much as im going to get done having a big honking supercharger or tubo hanging off the side of the engine im not going to get done with aftermarket internals. Its not as if im going to get pulled over the the copper pulls out a socket wrench and says, " get comfortable boys, were going to be here for a few hours while i make sure you engine's internals are stock". :D

MACE

Reaction score
Why not put stock rockers on, get an off-the-shelf grind, and sell the 1.95s for some extra cash?

That would certainly be an option :)

Because the roller rockers provide more advantages than just having a higher ratio. They are stronger and wear less than stock rockers without roller tips in them. Cam makers reconmend roller rockers with a cam to reduce the risk of rocker failure.

I don't know of any factory based ecotec roller rocker failing before or causing excessive wear on the valve train on a factory car or ones that ones that run a large cam with stiff springs. I can’t say we have from our experience and we’re talking about cam/rocker combinations with over .600” of lift used in conjunction with 130# spring.

Agreed. THere is no limit to cams, there are heaps of them. Mace you even said theres potential to run some cams with your 2.25:1 ratio rockers yeah ?

Yes the heads are done to suit and will have pics up over the next few days.

in regaurds to the tune i've run into a bit of a problem, it seems no one up here (cairns)
can do the tune for me (no one has the software apprently) so i'll have to get a chip programed from chiptourque.

someone asked for specs... i haven't got them yet, im wondering what specs i should ask for based on what i want, more power and stronger tourque delivery from 1800-6000.

It depends on whether or not your keeping the rockers but there are certainly a few grinds that will do the trick.

yeah SVS gave me the 800 quote, i've been looking around and rob at cairns leading automotive services quoted me at 600 plus whatever extra time comes from me putting other stuff on as well. the tune will have to come from chiptourque apperently only they can do it without a dyno tune.

-{UPDATE}-
cow cams gave me the spec for the cam they think is the right one for me, What do you guys think?
Advance Ground on Cam: 2 Lobe separation: 113 |
| .050 VALVE TIMING |
| Inlet opens: -10 BTDC Closes: 32 ABDC .050 Duration: 201 |
| Exhaust Opens: 38 BBDC Closes: -12 ATDC .050 Duration: 206 |
| ADVERTISED VALVE TIMING |
| Inlet opens: 22 BTDC Closes: 64 ABDC ADV Duration: 265 |
| Exhaust Opens: 70 BBDC Closes: 20 ATDC ADV Duration: 270 |
| Inlet lobe lift at TDC on the over lap:.033 |
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------|
| Valve lift Inlet: .4400 Inlet Rocker Ratio: 1.60 |
| Valve lift Exhaust: .4400 Exhaust Rocker Ratio: 1.60

I wouldn’t recommend this cam without higher ratio rockers, with your rockers however it would give you what you’re after :) In saying this though you will definitely need to upgrade the valve springs and run slimmer retainers or slimmer valve stem seals such that the retainer doesn’t make contact with the valve stem seal. We can supply you with this crow cam for $535.

marshcory

marshy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 , VP exec , XE Falcon ;)
Why not put stock rockers on, get an off-the-shelf grind, and sell the 1.95s for some extra cash?

could you get an off-the-shelf grind with 1.8 yt rrockers? or only with stock?

ibt18u

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs berlina 5spd wagon black
i paid a bit less for my cam install on my vn v6, only cos i shopped around a fair bit.but yeah the install price seems to be ok. as a few have said the tune can vary but its somthing i would do my research on.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Are you going to supercharge/turbo the car later when you have your full licence? If not then raise the compression while you have the heads off. You have to shave the heads to refit them, so just get them to shave a bit extra while they are at it. Complements a cam nicely.

beardy91

Reaction score
Go for the Crow Cams Profile 8531563. Works a treat with all the fruit.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
You can go bigger than that cam, talk to MACE they got mine.

I'll attach a copy of my cam specs.

Attachments

• Cam specs 2.jpg
    Cam specs 2.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 118

VTmadS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1
You can go bigger than that cam, talk to MACE they got mine.

I'll attach a copy of my cam specs.

Would i be able to run a cam with those specs in addition to the 1.95 rockers though?