Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

putting mini spool in vt s1 diff

clubsport_replica

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt clubsport replica
i totally agree with the driving to the conditions but yes spools are more dangerous only due to the fact that one wheel is constanly skipping even when slight cornering so yes it would be more dangerous in the wet as it would/could cause you two slide a little easier.

but im all for spools as long as you drive acordingly. ie change driving habits

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
well once again as in the 40 billion other threads about spools i have to agree with stealthy... alot of the people who have something bad to say about them either havnt driven one or have only been in a car with one...

both me and stealthy have had spools in daily drivers and ive had 3 cars with spools all up and never had a problem with them, as was said an lsd is just as dangerous with the wrong driver as a spool is no matter the weather conditions.

and as for tyre wear its not as bad as people say it is unless your deliberately doing burnouts everywhere...

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
I only ask cause cops got me this morning for the tiniest bit of wheel spin, when tires were cold and road was wet, threatened to take my car completely accidental, i swear

How is a spool going to help you stop wheel spinning? LSD is what you want.

EDIT: Not having a crack at spools by the way, but they're for a particular purpose, which doesn't sound like what the OP actually wants/needs.

walesy

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah i agree that jasevt doesnt need it

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
i totally agree with the driving to the conditions but yes spools are more dangerous only due to the fact that one wheel is constanly skipping even when slight cornering so yes it would be more dangerous in the wet as it would/could cause you two slide a little easier.

but im all for spools as long as you drive acordingly. ie change driving habits

Spools aren't more dangerous! I could send my Nana out in my car in the wet, on slicks, and she still wouldn't lose traction. Yes, a wheel is constantly skipping, but it take x amount of force to break traction. I'd much rather a spool that i know will spin 2 wheels, than a ****ed LSD that will spin 2 wheels through first, then open wheel in 2nd, resulting in your car in a tree.

jasevt

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 vt 50th anniversary s1
Yeah i was told it's an easy way to make your diff an lsd, if you haven't already noticed i don't know s*** when it comes to kind of stuff, lol but then again thats why i'm here to learn, cheers

walesy

Reaction score
Members Ride
ahh ok yeah a minispool will lock your axels together so its not a limited slip diff.. its a non slip diff :p

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah i was told it's an easy way to make your diff an lsd, if you haven't already noticed i don't know s*** when it comes to kind of stuff, lol but then again thats why i'm here to learn, cheers

LOL, it wont make it an LSD (limited slip diff), as a spool makes both wheels locked together 100% of the time (hence the skipping when turning).
As i said, spools are really only for cars that regularly see burnouts, if thats not on your to do list, just get an LSD.

jasevt

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 vt 50th anniversary s1
lol, don't i feel like a d***head, i do the odd burnout out here and there but not all the time, and i'm guessing it's my driving skills are 90% of it lol but i have trouble controlling a burnout when i do one even a little one, an lsd would help a bit yeah?

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
lol, don't i feel like a d***head, i do the odd burnout out here and there but not all the time, and i'm guessing it's my driving skills are 90% of it lol but i have trouble controlling a burnout when i do one even a little one, an lsd would help a bit yeah?

It would just make both wheels spin. Don't do any donuts, that will kill the LSD in now time.
More importantly, don't drive outside YOUR limits ;)