Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

QLD P Plate Mod Restrictions?

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
Hi all,

I'm curious as to exactly what is and is not allowed under the current Queensland P Plate restrictions when it comes to engine output and modifcation.

According to the QLD Transport site (http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Hom...owered_and_performance_vehicle_restriction/);

High-powered and performance vehicles include those with:

eight or more cylinders
a turbo-charged or super-charged engine that is not diesel powered
an engine that has a power output of more than 200 kW as per the manufacturer's specifications
a rotary engine that has an engine capacity of more than 1146cc as per the manufacturer's specifications
a modified engine that must be approved under the Transport Operations (Road Use Management – Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 1999, section 30.

I noticed it says a 'modified engine that must be approved' and not generalising all modifications. After looking at the regulation in question (http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/T/TrantOpRUVSSR99.pdf) I'm unsure as to whether or not it is allowable to drive a car that is modified but otherwise meets the restrictions.

The passage relevant is:

A person must not modify a vehicle, it's parts or equipment in a way that adversely affects the safety of the vehicle.

I'm not entirely certain how to read this.. On one hand I could read it as any increase in power output is compromising the safety of the occupants, on the other you could read this as only modifications which weaken or otherwise lessen the effect of safety devices etc from the factory.

For example, let's say I had a VSII (Here's hoping, shortly :)) that puts out 147kW. Would I be allowed to do very minor things such as a CAI or exhaust modification, as long as the power output remains below 200kW?

Is anyone able to give me a clear cut answer as to whether or not minor modifcations such as a CAI, exhaust etc are allowable for a P plate driver, as long as no other rules are broken in the process?

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
in N.S.W it says no performance enhancing modifications are permitted, i assume that means the same, Either way it sorta comes under the discretion of the officer, he could claim ur K&N filter was a performance enhacing mofication and fine you. so yeah.

Either way i just put a CAI on my VP, if they ask its just for engine efficiency.

Elliot Bout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Utility
Yea i get really confused with all the rules they have.
I've done the same as old mate, i just say everything is for efficiency.
I've got pacey extractors and a cai. If they ask its just for efficiency.
But if you get a clear explanation of what exactly is allowed mod-wise, please let
us know. :D

glavas

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy calais(ls1)
that makes no sence you can drive a 195kw sv6 in queensland but you cant drive a old v8 even tho the new sv6 is faster

VZSV605

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Yep. I see P platers in brand new VE SV6's (thankyou mummy and daddy). But if you get caught driving a flogged out old 253 you're stuffed.

I have a VZ SV6 (not from mummy and daddy thank you very much) and I am just entering the 2nd month of my P's. I am not proud of it, but sometimes I will have a little drag from the lights, but I try not to break speed limits. My SV6 left a VS Clubsport for dead like it was a Hyundai. The SV6 gets approved by police, and the VS clubby doesn't. But I suppose it would be hard to make such rules for car restrictions...

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Unfortunately when it comes to legislations, there often isn't clear cut answers as the legislations cannot possibly cover every scenario and often rely on the individual officers interpretation and discretion.

however, in a nutshell, it's saying that you cannot drive a car with an engine that has modifications that require a modification plate. The majority of CAI's and exhaust mods don't require a mod plate so they would be acceptable. An engine swap (non-factroy option engine), forced induction etc do require a mod plate and therefore would be deemed as unacceptable.

QT has no standard measurement for engine output - chassis dynos would never be accepted as an accurate measurement device. So they aren't going to test your car's output in order to determine if it exceeds the 200kw limit. The 200kw limit is based purely on the manufacturers measurement from factory. So the likes of most late model V8's are out as are the latest V6 SIDI 210kw.

I work as a QT officer, and that is the way I interpret the legislation. Of course the legislation can be interpreted differently by each individual QT or QPS officer, but I'm not aware of a case of a P plater being penalised for driving a V6 Commodore with an exhaust and CAI. Obviously if your exhaust is particularly loud and doesn't comply with the vehicle safety standards the vehicle would be subject to a defect, and consequently you may also be penalised as a P plater for driving a non-compliant vehicle.

So my advice is, any mods you do undertake - keep them subtle and you should avoid any problems. Don't go overkill on the exhaust for example. It's going to attract uneccessary attention either way. Sensible exhaust mods and CAI aren't likely to cause you any problems at all.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT calais 1999
hay guys i brought a complely stock standered VT calais i am currentrly on my red ps and since i have had it i have completely changed my exhaust lowered it and put a cai and k&n filter on it and have had no hassle wat so ever with the cops but they doo look tho lol

i say do wat u want to the ur car the avage cop has no idea wat he is on about but if u get one that does thats the risk u take

Black_VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais (355) HG prem (496 big cheif headed)
have to agree. had a 253 in my prem and couldnt drive that but could go buy newish commodore and would leave it for dead.
rules are crap.

on my l's after 5 hrs of driving. i drove a car with more horsepower then most people on this site would have ever driven.
and im building a 1000 hp car and im not even on my p's yet.

but i cant buy a v6 supercharged which under 200kw cause its supercharged.

BMW 318

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 318i
Hi guys, completely off commodores, but still relevent,
I have a 318i BMW and i want to swap the engine to a 328i M52.
Would i need a mod plate for this? and would i be able to drive this on my P's
drops about 220hp and weights 1200kg

Is this possible to drive on p's?