Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] QLD To NSW Rego Transfer

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Hi Guys

I Just Purchased a VY Commodore from QLD, And had to have the Rego Transferred.
Between the RTA and QLD they are not very helpful on how to transfer it over.
So i thought i would mention whats involved.

First, Find a Car that You like in QLD. Be sure its in Tip Top order. The QLD Seller must provide a Road Worthy Check in order to Sell it in QLD.

Once you have found the car, And both you and the seller are happy, And Checked the Vin for a Reevs Check, Proceed the Transaction. Note its a good idea to get insurance over the phone before driving it away, just incase something unexpected Happens.
Download This form QLD Transport Web Site - F3520 - Transfer of Vehicle Registration Application

http://www.support.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/formsdat.nsf/forms/QF3520/$file/F3520_es.pdf

Fill out all possible Details.

Receive a Receipt from the seller for the car, That includes The Car Rego, Vin, Sellers Address, The Sellers Signature, And of course who they sold it to (Your Full Name)

Keep All possible Paper work with you in the car while processing the Rego, just in case you are pulled over and you have proof you now own the car.

Contact a Mechanic that can proceed with a Blue Slip, This is just like a Pink slip but more involved.
You can find a Check Station here. The Mechanic will fill out the Blue slip, Then you will need to fill out all your personal details on the blue slip to complete the registration form thats included on the blue slip.

Find an Authorised Safety Check Station

Once you have a Blue Slip, You can Then Organise a CTP Green Slip, Most Insurance companies i contacted required me to go into there nearest office to organise it.

Once you Have your CTP, Blue Slip, Proof of Owner ship of the Car, IE - Receipt & Rego Transfer Papers. Walk Into the RTA. Wait inline for 5 Hours.
Hand Over Proof of Owner Ship, Blue slip that includes Registration details, CTP, And the Old QLD Plates.
Once they check over the paper Work, Hand Over about $700 in fees, Decide if you want Big yellow number plates or slimline White/Black Ones.
Once all processed, Leave the RTA, Screw on the New Number plates, Remove the Old QLD rego sticker, Stick new NSW sticker on.

Drive away in Style.

Hope this helps a lot of confused people.

rob_phill

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
this is awesome! thanks so much!

one question...what happens if you buy a car, and the seller has not provided a roadworthy cert?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 2002 Executive v6. Ex Patrol Car
Walk Into the RTA. Wait inline for 5 Hours.

Epic!

Rob! In queensland it is against the law to sell a car without a RWC. Make sure you get one, DEMAND one. If they don't give it to you, break in all the windows on there other car

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Yep Always a Good idea regardless of where you are buying a car from is to have a RWC, spend the $60 or what ever to make sure your not about to land into a world of trouble, most owners wont have a issue to do it & most will pay for the RWC them selfs, if they do not want a bar of the RWC, then they know the car is not Road worthy and dont want to pay for repairs.

kerrie0400

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
Getting a rwc is a good idea but means nothing when transfering from qld to nsw as you need to get a blue slip anyway

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
They test the same stuff in QLD as in NSW, So really unless the QLD mechanic ####ed up the RWC, it will pass the NSW blue slip. Looked over both slips. test the same stuff.

CK_318

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX crapondoors
hey mate, i'm about to do this myself unless my local dealership can pull their fist out ( and teh guys next to them). wanted to know what happens with the QLD side of things? is the money refunded like when you cancel your rego for a write off or is it just transferred like buying a same state car?

TIMS28

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8 HSV GTO
I rang the RTA here in Sydney and they told me that if I sell a car to someone interstate, (say QLD) they have to hand in the plates in their state and cancel the registration. (obviously show that they're the new owners). Then you have to get new plates from your state and do a brand new registration. It will cost more to do this than buying a car that is registered in your state. Because they have to cancel the rego. (fees) and then pay for new rego (fees) and transfer of new ownership (fees). Then they send the plates back to the state it belongs to and gets destroyed and the no's and letters combo. will be available to re-order in that state. Another way is that you cancel the rego. before you sell the car and keep the money of the cancelled rego and the new owner drives (with temporary plates issued by the RTA) back home and organises the rego prosses in their state. As you said before it's is very confusing as the dumb states treat each other as a foreign state and don't like to talk to each other, how hard is it to organise something simpler, we're in 2013, surely they could easily organise a national data base to make it easier, but on the other hand the government is there to rip and charge the poor old tax paying worker as much as they can and make life as difficult as they can.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I've had out of State vehicles that I've re-registered where I live and find if you follow procedure it's all a breeze.

AlexVSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Holden VS Commodore S, 3.8 n/a
I know someone who did a similar cross border purchase. The only difference was it was ACT/NSW not QLD/NSW. They actually had the contract of sale state that "Should the vehicle not pass the required inspection to be registered in the state of New South Wales, the sale may, at my sole discretion be cosidered to be null and void and the vehicle may be returned immediatey to the former owners, and a full refund issued, or the quoted cost of repairs shall be refunded.

I don't know if it'll hold up in court but I guess someone who is palming off an obviously dodgy vehicle may not wish to sign anyway so it kind of serves the purpose anyway.