Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Q's 1987 VL Calais Walkinshaw project

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
looks good lowered.

i would colour code those areas on the kit that are in gold but thats just me....

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
yip looks good lowered on those rims..

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
That colour with those rims = flawless. I tell you, that's one god damn straight car!

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
1987 VL Calais Walkinshaw
Not one to leave things alone today I attacked the stereo.
The electric aerial wasnt working when I bought my Walkinshaw. When I pulled the aerial out of the inner passenger guard I kind of figured out why ... The plastic housing was help together with electrical tape. I looked around for a replacement and was quoted all sorts of prices until I found a universal one at the local Supercheap for $45

Walkinshaw_030.jpg

Walkinshaw_031.jpg

Once it was all plugged in the aerial would only go part way up. Out come the control box to check it before I moved on to the switch in the instrument cluster. As you can see it had fallen apart (which would also explain why the demist wasnt working). Regardless I re-assembled the switch and with a bit of hot glue to hold the clips in place it worked perfect. The aerial now raises and lowers with the touch of a button

Walkinshaw_032.jpg

Walkinshaw_033.jpg

While I was at it I bought some new 4" Fusion speakers for the dash and swapped in the rear 6" fusion speakers and Pioneer stereo from the donor VL

Walkinshaw_034.jpg

Walkinshaw_035.jpg

Last edited:

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
Coupe more things progressed today. Firstly my personalised plate arrived
Walkinshaw_036.jpg

and I started to remove the engine. front panel and bumper gone to save any scratches, battery gone, afm gone, and a few wires removed. Now for the radiator, exhaust and a/c pump
Walkinshaw_037.jpg

Walkinshaw_038.jpg

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
Got bored after tea last night so decided to remove the bonnet with my son before finishing off 90% of the engine stuff. Now onlyy have the mounts themselves, the exhaust and the 2 fuel lines (which I forgot to depressurise but whats soem spilt fuel between friends).

Got a busy next 2 days including picking up a hoist and the wifes birthday, but should be able to get into it again saturday night to finish off the last engien bits so that come monday I can work on the gearbox/tailshaft and get her out.

Then I need to do it all again with the donor vl.

Happy happy joy joy

Q

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
Last night I picked up my engine hoist and on monday the 15th I hope to get the old RB30 from the engine bay. So yeah , over the next 2 weeks I hope to remove the rb30 from my walky, the 304 from the vl donor, swap the kframes and looms, refit the rb30 in the vl donor and hock that off. Then use the money to tidy up / upgrade the 304. At this stage it will come down to the compression test on the 304.

If the 304 compression test comes out fine across the board I will just change the oil seals, welsh plugs, water pump, plugs and leads etc and refit with a better coil/dizzy and some new oil etc etc.

If the 304 compression is all over the show I will whip the heads off and give them a plain while replacing the head gasket and valve seals, check the bores and replace rings and maybe some highcomp pistons if the bores need reboring, install a twin row timing chain and kelford 170C cam (216 @ 0.49 & 112 LSA). Along with the required springs and lifters I will grab a mace 70mm throttle and of cource some sort of memcal/reprogram.

I have broken the later to the wife and are kind of hoping that the compression is all over the show but guess we will see early next week so watch this space.

Q.

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
Today I finally got a chance to remove the old RB30 Holden engine that had sat in the engine bay for the last 25 years. Unfortunatly while pivoting the hosit out I knocked the oil pan from the trans over but other than that it went hassel free

Walkinshaw_039.jpg

Walkinshaw_040.jpg

Then in come the donor VL and prep started for the removal of that. First on the books was a compression test and the resuts were pretty good. First I forgot to open the throttle and I got results of about 128-130 across the board. Then I retested and ended up with 145 across the board with 2 up at 150 and one down at 140/142 but those were obtained while the engine was cold as there was no water in the radiator

Walkinshaw_041.jpg

Tomorrow I start on removing that , yay.