Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Q's 1987 VL Calais Walkinshaw project

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
1987 VL Calais Walkinshaw
couple of updates for you

Internal Fuel Pump:
I have noticed that when my tank gets under half it starts to cough and splutter (like its running out of gas). It used to do this with the old 6cyl as well so my guess is the internal tank lifter pump is shot. Rather than just replace it I have decided to remove the factory 2 pump setup (1 internal and 1 external) and replace it with a single internal.

To do this I went to the local pick-a-part and grabbed a VL and VS internal tank setup. Next I carefully cut the VL pump seat bracket off before leaving the main pipe intack then choped the VS pipe off and removed the pipe from the bracket. I did this because the VS seat and VL seat for the pumps are different. then I simply had the VS seat welded to teh VL pipe section and blam. The only thing left to connect the wiring as the VS pipe is shorter than the VL

Walkinshaw_105.jpg

Walkinshaw_106.jpg

Walkinshaw_107.jpg

Walkinshaw_108.jpg

Cruise Control:
As my Holden Calais had it factory I thought I would try to get the VL cruise setup working on the VN-VS Commodore 304 V8. It was remarkably easy. I remounted the VL cruise module where the battery used to be and had a new cable manufactured to run to the VN throttle body. the cable is basically one part VL / 1 part VN / 1 long center section. Once connected it needed a minor adjustment for tension but other than that worked first pop

Walkinshaw_109.jpg

Walkinshaw_110.jpg

Air Conditioning:
Last month I bought a VR/VS Air Conditioning pump, brackets and hoses. After painting up the bracket I decided to fit it while I finished of the cruise control stuff. All that is left is to have some pipes custom made to connect from the condensor to the pump and the pump to the inside of the car. The pipes are needed because unlike the VL setup on hte passengers front up top the VR/VS is low on the drivers side.

Walkinshaw_111.jpg

Walkinshaw_112.jpg

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
At the recent 2014 Beach Hop in Whangamata, NZ

Photo0970.jpg

Amazingly enough with so many mustangs present this year a lot of people were stopping to take pics of big red because it was the only Walky I saw there. There was a brocky and a VL wagon but they dont count.

Q

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
At the recent 2014 Beach Hop in Whangamata, NZ

View attachment 171180

Amazingly enough with so many mustangs present this year a lot of people were stopping to take pics of big red because it was the only Walky I saw there. There was a brocky and a VL wagon but they dont count.

Q

Looking good mate :)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That's sad to hear. What are you replacing her with?

Did you get hooked at the hop?

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
wanted to do one before her actually but went this way. dont regret it.

thinking a 68-72 Nova with a 350chev stroked to 383, dual flowmasters and lots of chrome. similar size to a commodore so I know it fits in the garage. might yet go with a 62-65 Nova, but are undecided, have friends state side hunting for me at the moment.