Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Q's about flushing cooling system (I know this has been posted alot but...)

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
tsimira said:
err??

It really does need to be cleaned as I dont think the guy who gave me the car had done it for a long time so whatever is running through the system looks pretty bad. I just want to be sure of what I am doing beforehand, I dont wanna be like almost every guy I know; winging it and then realising halfway through they have no idea what they are doing lol ;) :p

tsimira :)

Awww, you're no fun :p Yeah, if ya wanna flush it completely, then remove the thermostat and chuck the hose in there, might wanna have a new thermostat housing gasket to chuck on, hell might as well replace the thermostat itself while you're at it. If you don't want to remove the thermostat there is another option. Just drain the system, fill it with plain water and take it for a run, drain, refill and repeat till the water comes out clear. It's dodgy but it has worked for me in the past.

PS. Just re-read your first post. Please don't run your engine with the cooling system in pieces/drained, that just wouldn't be cool :)

tsimira

Reaction score
Members Ride
'91 VN V6 Executive
Well I did it today and it was pretty straightforward (thanks to everyone for clearing it up for me) I pretty much knew not to run the engine during the cleaning process, I just wast to double check as it was either something I read or something someone told me they mentioned running the engine so I had to be sure ;) hehe

The engine itself wasnt too dirty, it was mainly the radiator, a lot of sludge came out but didnt take long to clean out. To maginoodle, I have a series 2 engine so I took the thermostat off and did it that way, was a rather painless procedure really.

Only downside was I forgot to bring the thermostat gasket with me (I did it at my folks place as I have no decent area to do it at home) so its leaking a bit from there, but I'll just put the new one on tomorrow and should be fine. If I can be bothered I'll take a walk to the car parts place and get a new thermostat, but its working alright so should be able to leave it for now if I dont.

Thanks to everyone for your help, I'm slowly learning whats what with this car (well any car for that matter) lol and very gradually as I read through the manual more of it actually makes sense :p Dont think I could have done it without all your help (dont have anyone close by that actually knows anything about cars, and what they do know I'm not so sure about)

Thanks all again, barring any trouble tomorrow changing the gasket, I can say a job easily done! :)

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Well done, and thanks for making this thread ^^ I've been thinking about giving my radiator a good flush for a while now. The stuff in the overflow looks like sewerage. Not good /o\

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
tsimira said:
Well I did it today and it was pretty straightforward (thanks to everyone for clearing it up for me) I pretty much knew not to run the engine during the cleaning process, I just wast to double check as it was either something I read or something someone told me they mentioned running the engine so I had to be sure ;) hehe

The engine itself wasnt too dirty, it was mainly the radiator, a lot of sludge came out but didnt take long to clean out. To maginoodle, I have a series 2 engine so I took the thermostat off and did it that way, was a rather painless procedure really.

Only downside was I forgot to bring the thermostat gasket with me (I did it at my folks place as I have no decent area to do it at home) so its leaking a bit from there, but I'll just put the new one on tomorrow and should be fine. If I can be bothered I'll take a walk to the car parts place and get a new thermostat, but its working alright so should be able to leave it for now if I dont.

Thanks to everyone for your help, I'm slowly learning whats what with this car (well any car for that matter) lol and very gradually as I read through the manual more of it actually makes sense :p Dont think I could have done it without all your help (dont have anyone close by that actually knows anything about cars, and what they do know I'm not so sure about)

Thanks all again, barring any trouble tomorrow changing the gasket, I can say a job easily done! :)

It's great when things go smoothly isn't it? Good to see more people getting into maintaining their own cars, not enough people do these days.

Jasoniumh

Its a dogs life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore Executive 3.8
Straight from the manual

commodore v6 91-93

To drain and refill.

This engine is equipped with an air bleeder valve. The valve is used when refilling coolant using the manufacturers special tool AU425. It is not necessary to open the valve when refilling the cooling system using the procedure below.

(1) Set the heater controls to the hot position.
(2) Position a container under the cylinder block drain plugs and remove the radiator cap. The drain plugs are located low down on each side of the cylinder block. (edit: between the welsh plugs)
(3) Remove the cylinder block drain plugs, Disconnect the lower radiator hose and drain the coolant into the container.
(4) When the coolant has drained, Clean the cylinder block drain plugs, apply Loctite242 or equivalent to the threads and tighten the drain plugs securely. Connect the lower radiator hose.
(5) Mix approximately six litres of the specified coolant with an equal quantity of clean water.
(6) Disconnect the top radiator hose from the engine coolant outlet and hold the hose vertical.
(7) Fill the radiator with the coolant mixture and install the radiator cap.
(8) Continue to pour coolant into the open end of the top radiator hose until coolant flows from the engine coolant outlet. (comes out where the thermostat is)
(9) Place three holden/Toyota M40124 cooling system pellets into the top radiator hose. Quickly connect the hose to the engine coolant outlet to prevent excessive coolant loss ensuring that the pellets are not displaced. Tighten the hose clip securely.

NOTE : It is only necessary to add the pellets if the coolant system has been completely drained.

(10) Fill the reserve tank to approximately 25 mm above the maximum mark and install the reserve tank cap.
(11) Start and run the engine for 20 minutes to dissolve the pellets and purge any air that may be trapped in the cylinder head. Check the coolant level (and top up if necessary).

I did this to the letter, no probs.

Last edited:

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
how did you remove the welsh plugs without removing the manifolds?

aZK.

Jasoniumh

Its a dogs life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore Executive 3.8
Welsh plugs? Cylinder block drain plugs. They are between the Welsh plugs.

Last edited:

Cogez

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 Series II VP Calais
how did you get to the cylinder drain plugs??? i've tried to get them off, but there's no way anything will fit in behind the exhaust manifolds.

And did you really go out and buy those coolant pellet things?? I'm pretty sure even Holden recommends not using those things anymore :p

VTPREDATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SPORTSWAGON
And did you really go out and buy those coolant pellet things?? I'm pretty sure even Holden recommends not using those things anymore :p

correct. holden have told me that they dont use the pellets caus its turns the water brown, and sludgy.