Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quality of different brands of gauges.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Hey guys, I'd like to install an oil pressure gauge in the VY V6.
What are some reasonable brands that are worth buying. I'm not after the top shelf, $150, gold plated ones with diamonds on the inside, just a good, reliable brand that is;

1. Accurate
2. Reliable
3. Will last

In other words, value for money, that will last for a good while.

A couple of brands I've seen are SAAS, Autometer, I think? Any others?

Just after some experienced advice on what to/what not to buy. Am after the electrical type. Is there a certain pressure range I need to buy?

Would also like to trouble ya's for some info on the 'T' piece I need to buy, as I'd like to leave the factory fitted sender and system connected. I've searched and found that I will most likely need to extend the wire to the existing sender unit.

Looks like I shall need a 'T' piece that has male thread to go into where the factory sender is, with a female thread on one end to take the factory sender and either male/female for the gauge, depending on what it is.

Will an auto parts store know the type and size of 'T' piece I need when I tell them it's Ecotec and they see the gauge I have?

The only experience I have with oil gauges is the old "oil in the cabin" type, fitted to 186red motors in HT's and the like, shows my age a little, eh?

Oh, and I'm assuming the factory sender unit is the one located directly in front of the oil filter, yeh? Thanks for help guys.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
sweet! i stumbled across a brand called "pricol" they are aussie made (afaik) and supplied by redline. really high quality chrome and seems to be pin-point accurate. also very reasonably priced compared to brands like "autometer"
100_1933.jpg

100_1750.jpg

i have NFI what you are talking about with the T piece. generally, oil pressure is a single earthed line. if there is no oil pressure (no earth) the guage reads 0. if dead shorted to earth it reads full. so you just need to splice into the signal wire, then run a + a - and an illumination to the guage.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
The 't' piece is to allow the factory oil pressure light to still function, while enabling a reading to the new gauge.

Do I need to run a + accessories wire to the gauge sender, then from sender into the gauge?

As well as connecting the illumination wires?

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
ARI 666, in which store did you find the Pricol?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
bursons. but you can buy them online from: Gauges | Hardiman

also, if you have a few dollars to spend, check out: VPW Performance Mailorder

and normally, the only wires are to the guage (+ and - and sender signal) the sender is a glorified resistor. the higher the pressure the lower the resistance, and the guage just shows you a resistance reading. if that makes sense.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
So you don't need an accessories +ive feed to the sender by the sounds of that?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
I have used Stewart Warner before and found them to be quite good.