Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quartz nano protection coating

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Thought I would post this in here hopefully get some replies from someone that works in the panel beating industry.

Are these coatings worth it, I never even knew these existed till I saw someone mention it on a 2nd hand car for sale. I claybar my car once every year give it a bit of a polis and just use a meguiars wax. Looks sweet after its done but doesnt take long for contamination to build up and you get a rough surface. Are these coating all they are cracked up to be and can a do it yourselfer kind of person apply it. Ive polished many a cars over they years way more than I care to remeber and always hand polish with rags never ever bothered with a buffer.

Can anyone comment on these coatings.

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
There's a lot of hype around them so there must be some truth to it. I for one don't believe or really watch the marketing videos from the companies themselves as they are obviously trying to make a sale. I read reviews of them and majority of people are happy with them, they are just a big step up from a wax or sealant and last wayyy longer.

Watch review videos from trusted professional car detailers who would have no reason to lie as it would hurt their business. I 100% believe them that these coatings are worth it if you want to spend the money on them. Many of them do follow up videos a year later and show you how its holding up and they always seem to look great with crazy water beading and no loss of gloss etc.

But they have to be applied correctly or they won't last. Its like painting, the prep work will determine the final finish.

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Those in the industry call it Homeopathy for cars!

In all seriousness though, it's an insurance product - a promise to compensate you if the product fails to protect. However, legally it can't be sold as an insurance product without training in the finance field, or scrutiny by ASIC and the financial services regime, so a bottle of liquid is applied and it's sold as a service. The company sells lots and hopes that only a few will make a claim. A repair is generally a panel buff and reapply (cost approx $80), but sometimes a complete panel respray is required ($500). The numbers stack up for the manufacturer and it's very profitable.

Unfortunately for all the hype and marketing that surrounds these hand-applied paint protection products, the reality is that they really are no better at resisting stains, dirt and UV than the paint itself. They are HUGE money-earners for dealerships, detailers and car washes. A $50 bottle of liquid applied in half an hour, then sold for $800-$1200 - who wouldn't want to sell it?

Ask me how I know? I'm an ex-employee of one of these manufacturers.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
these hand-applied paint protection products, the reality is that they really are no better at resisting stains, dirt and UV than the paint itself.

So does this mean the best DIY option, we should all learn how to repaint our cars?