Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Queensland speed limits could be raised

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
Maybe, just maybe the powers to be may actually make a good descision when it comes to speed limits on some of our roads, I am not holding my breath though.

Queensland speed limits could be raised Local Gold Coast News | goldcoast.com.au | Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

Gold Coast News said:
THE top speed on Queensland roads could be lifted above 110km/h in the first major review of speed limits in nearly 20 years, and the Gold Coast's M1 could be among them.

Transport Minister Scott Emerson wants motorists to have their say on what the speed limits should be as part of a strategy to improve road safety and tackle the rising road toll.

He said he would consider raising limits where a clear need was identified and it was safe to do so.

"There is research out there which shows if you don't have the appropriate speed limit for the quality of the road, there is a tendency for people to break the law," Mr Emerson said.

"But it's not a case of `look, everybody's speeding on this road so we should raise the limit', because the road may not be suitable for that speed."

But the minister warned that just as many limits were likely to be lowered.

"That was the experience when they did this in NSW," Mr Emerson said.

"In that case, the 100 roads they did I think roughly about 20 per cent went slower, 20 per cent went faster and 60 per cent were unchanged."

Only the Northern Territory allows motorists to drive above 110km/h.

The Arnhem, Stuart, Barkley and Victoria highways are all signed at a speed limit of 130km/h after being reduced from open zones in 2007.
Last year the LNP's Thuringowa State Electorate Council called on the Government to increase limits in Queensland to 130km/h on open roads where possible.

But the Older Drivers Safety Advisory Committee urged lower speed limits to suit the growing number of seniors on the roads.

Professor Barry Watson, from the Centre for Accident Research and Road Safety Queensland, said the state's roads were not good enough to cope with higher speeds.

"We know from overseas research that typically when you increase speed limits crashes do go up, so it could only be considered in cases where the roads are of a very high quality," he said.

Paul Turner from peak motoring body RACQ said the M1 was about the only road for which a higher speed limit could be considered.

"The number one priority has to be safety," he said.

He welcomed the announcement of the review which will be coupled with other road safety initiatives announced previously, including funding for more mobile speed camera hours.

"The only time we worry about governments changing speed limits is if they're using it to cover for poor road quality," Mr Turner said.

"Sometimes they would rather lower the speed limit than fix the road but in this case we're very happy there's a review being undertaken."

A final decision on speed limits on 100 sections of road will be made by mid-2014, following public consultation and expert advice.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Yes so they should be increased.

But the drivers on the MI in particular will need to get their act together and stay in the lanes and stay at the speed that needs to be marked on the roads........As it is they are all over the place from inside to outside at various speeds from slow to fast.
I've driven all over the world, and very fast at times, and quite frankly I've never seen worse drivers than in Queensland.........They just don't seem to know what they are doing.

I did also note that learner drivers are to be taught how to merge onto a freeway...........I thought that was just common sense.........Hit the freeway at the maximum posted speed and merge..........But I can tell a story of a 40 year old at the time about 20 years ago whom I was a passenger with, came to a dead stop at the bottom of the merging ramp waiting for a clear space to doddle onto the freeway........Words fail me. Geezus, did I scream at him??? Yes I did.

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
M1 and the Bruce Highway could do with a 120/130km speed limit. If they weren't willing to increase it by that much at least the Bruce Highway Caboolture to Brisbane and the stretch between Caloundra and Sippy Downs need to be increased to 110km.

Problem is though the amount of drivers that can't do the speed limit already could be a real issue. Need a lane dedicated for slower drivers.......

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
M1 and the Bruce Highway could do with a 120/130km speed limit. If they weren't willing to increase it by that much at least the Bruce Highway Caboolture to Brisbane and the stretch between Caloundra and Sippy Downs need to be increased to 110km.

Problem is though the amount of drivers that can't do the speed limit already could be a real issue. Need a lane dedicated for slower drivers.......

BINGO!

People that can't stick to a 100kmph limit, sure ain't gonna stick to a 120/130kmph one.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
They should build suitable roads and freeways across australia first, and then have an open speed limit like europe..

blocka

EXC35
Reaction score
Website
www.southerncoastcustoms.com
Members Ride
VT S L67
the stretch between Caloundra and Sippy Downs need to be increased to 110km.

That used to be 110 and they lowered it because of all the dodgy roads they got coming onto it with no proper merging lanes.

The problem is the m1 from Bris to Gold Coast and Bris to Cabbo could handle higher speed limits easily however it bottle necks where they haven't done the bit in between (including the section that conveniently and randomly drops to 90km where the nudgee speed cameras are)
Also majority of the drivers at the moment can't merge properly or use a highway properly as it is
"What's that 110kmh and 3 lanes? Ill just sit at 90 in the right one"

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
If they do one day up the speed limit on the Bruce Highway, I hope they do decide to do some serious work on it and get it up to scratch first. Especially the bit that goes through the Bundaberg region (from a bit south of Childers to just north of Gin Gin, basically), it was bad enough as it was when I used to live there, and from what I hear it hasn't improved.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
If they do one day up the speed limit on the Bruce Highway, I hope they do decide to do some serious work on it and get it up to scratch first. Especially the bit that goes through the Bundaberg region (from a bit south of Childers to just north of Gin Gin, basically), it was bad enough as it was when I used to live there, and from what I hear it hasn't improved.

Generally speaking, Queensland roads have been a disgrace for many many years, and mostly still are. Of course there is a reason for it.