Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] queries about gas, in both VR Commodore and EF Falcon

P plater

the immortal misguided one
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Ford Falcon Futura wagon/ 1994 VR Exec wagon
Hi all, I am after some information about gas in my cars, I will try to separate the two so it's a bit easier to read, as a note I don't drive my cars roughly and also I have a good idea of the laws around gas.

VR: I am thinking of putting it on gas venturi mixing with petrol as well, before I go further it has done nearly 350,000 kilometres,I have a too idea for most of the system wiring but O2 sensor wiring being that there is two of them also where is a good spot to mount the converter?
Also what is a recommended size size of converter, any pictures of the installs are appreciated,

EF: I am thinking of a larger gas tank of about 900x400 size and moving the filler to behind the petrol filler flap, also I am considering vapor gas injection, I am thinking that it is a good learning exercise but would like to know what others think of vapor gas injection systems

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The mixer systems are pretty crappy on the Buicks/Ecotecs. They are renowned for blowing up air boxes.

If you're only doing this to learn, go ahead. But if I was after any longevity I would be going with a lower K Ecotec and gas injection. I'm aware of one vapour injected L67 that did very well and had promising results. Flipside was there are not many places that will tune for this and he had to take the car to Melbourne.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I had gas injection on my ecotec. Would never bother with a mixer system on a pre efi car again.

Keep in mind that sequential injection is almost a must for vapor injection. Many ecu's can deal with banked batchfire injection, but it's much harder to tune. Full batch injection is apparently very difficult to do, since it puts so much load on the ECU.

Last edited:

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
aren't you meant to be a qualified gas fitter to be installing gas systems? I recently buggerised around with a emmegas system don't touch them emmegas are thieves when it comes to buying replacement parts or the software to program their stuff alot of second hand gas stuff results in nothing but trouble when you put it on another car. How far do you blokes drive a year for the cheapness of lpg to matter? For the set up cost you can buy alot of petrol being young blokes as you are you'll change cars once every 2 years anyway.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
for starters find a licenced LPG workshop to have them install the system according to regulations and legal requirements for rego and insurance purposes .

commy at 350000kms I wouldn't recommend fitting a ring mixer system , at such high kms wear and tear on the engine leaking seals worn valve guides nothing but trouble .

your EF is it wagon or sedan ? wagon models i have fitted a larger tank to one side of the rear compartment retaining the full size petrol tank and spare wheel unchanged , sedan models usual are fitted with a fast fit bracketed tank so choice of tank size is limited or you can fit twin tanks with a donut tank in the spare wheel well .

for a hint on how not do a LPG conversion have a squiz a some of my pics on profile page .

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yep you need to have a qualified installer connect the high pressure lines and sign it all off if it all complies. That's if you find an installer who's willing to inspect and check off your work. That'll be the hard part - not many will be willing to sign off on something they haven't done themselves. I've heard of people having it done though.

You're not supposed to touch any part of the LPG system yourself.

Last edited:

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
there's abit more too it then just having the high pressure lines connected and signed off ???? Rejected many vehicles for roadworthy inspections or refused to sign off coz of non compliant fitment issues ......

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
there's abit more too it then just having the high pressure lines connected and signed off ???? Rejected many vehicles for roadworthy inspections or refused to sign off coz of non compliant fitment issues ......
Yes of course. I probably worded that badly. There's a checklist that needs to be ticked off. It's not as simple as it sounds, and you need to be very aware of the regulations if you want to have any chance of it being signed off at all.

I don't recommend trying it yourself though.

P plater

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks guys for the advice, I Will leave the gas system to the professionals, and I Will leave the VR on petrol

P plater

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey all, sorry for thread digging but I'm started thinking of doing the gas conversion on the VR, I have checked out its service history, which has checked out all good, the compression test was at 180 PSI, I had a mechanic test drive it and his response was that the engine felt like it had done about half of what the odometer says, hence why my gas conversion idea is on the table again, I have been given an old Impco model L converter, I have been told that an Impco system will work better for the VR, could anyone tell me what their Impco system has been like?

Any extra questions or advice is welcome, thanks