Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Querying best motor to replace my tired VX

Mr Blackstock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive 3.8l V6
Gday,
I bought my VX with 185k on the clock and have gotten to 305k and have only had to change a head gasket. Of all the cars I have had, I'm lovin' the VX!
Working on the engine is a breeze, and so far I've been lucky with everything else.
I like most the push rod motor, the car pulls great, Cruses at 2k rpm and gets me around 10.5kms per litre, or around 650 kms to a full tank, give or take.
So, from what I know the VY is the last model to have the ecotec motor, if I was to buy a good motor for a future replacement, would the VY be the best bet?
I'm not keen on modifying the car, I got a bike for shits and giggles, I just want a reliable, low revving easy to maintain motor. Is the ecotec motor the best for what it offers?

Cheers

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Yes. Anything other than an Ecotec will require extensive modification/work to get going.

As for a VY engine, all Ecotecs are essentially the same save for some intake/PCV differences and differences in some internal component weights. You're far better off buying an engine based on service history and actual condition. There's nothing about a VY Ecotec that will be any better outside of it possibly having less wear because it's newer, you could find older Ecotecs that are in the same or better condition depending on history.

Having said all that, if it ain't broke don't fix it. There are many examples of these getting to 500k Kms without issue. If you're changing to another engine just because, you're introducing a lot of new variables for not much gain.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
If your happy with the motor you have,
Get it re-built, Its the Devil you know, than the Devil you don't,
and you will have a lot more happy motoring out of your VX.

I had a 2002 VX Series 2 Wagon, it was a ex: Barwon Shire Council Car, and was immaculate when I bought it, in Delft Blue.
It was one of many great cars I have had.

Last edited:

Mr Blackstock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive 3.8l V6
Thanks for the replies guys.
I mainly want to get another motor for when my current one dies. I know from the motorbike world that the longer you wait till buying another motor, you reduce the chances of getting a decent one. I reckon if I buy a decent one now, odds are it will be better than one I might get in 6 years time when there are fewer examples around.
And I won't be buying off a wrecker, when I worked for one all the comp numbers on the rocker covers were fake, since most of the cars coming in were from the auctions, the boss would never get the guys to spend time getting the engine started, let alone testing comps and temps. especially if the front end was caved in.

Regarding getting a motor rebuilt? I am guessing that doing so would be much more than I would be willing to spend. Depending on the fault if course. When my bike engine burnt a valve at 300k I dismantled the engine to check out what work would be needed, after discovering the cost, parts only, for valve guides and a gasket kit, I found a low km $800 motor that was the same cost. The decision was an easy one.

Looks like I gonna start looking for a VX or VY with low kms, hopefully written off with rear end damage only, and being owned by mostly women drivers who don't live in Werribee....

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Don't think you need to worry about finding a engine thousand's out there to choose from, yours will last another 150 thousand more km's if you look after it, besides what's to say something happens out of your control and the car is deemed a write off.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I would try to find a good engine from the same model as yours. That way everything is a direct swap. Most things would swap over anyway but I would just avoid older models regardless. Plus I thought it was illegal to use an older engine in a car? That might only apply if it's different to the current engine.

Mr Blackstock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive 3.8l V6
Gday,
Well I figured trying to get hold of a motor out if a VX or VY with low kms would possibly take me quite a while, maybe a year. I realise wreckers have heaps if motors, but the difference in the life span of a motor from a hoon versus a granny is massive, maybe half its life. I figure I may have to find a write off with low kms.... That could take a while.
And if my motor blows up I don't want the car waiting a year for a donor motor.
I'm also pretty sure a non original motor can be used, but if mounts need fabrication then a cert is needed I think.

Gareth

Mr Blackstock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive 3.8l V6
Well whenni lived in Wyndham vale, next to werribee, I used to see as many women as blokes treating their Holdens horribly!
Thanks to every intersection having a roundabout, everyone used to try drifting, revving the crap outa the cars, and when they messed that up, they just mounted the roundabout s and curbs anyway.
And when I used to shop at the woolies, the plain label motor oil was always sold out....
Just an opinion...

Gareth

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Well whenni lived in Wyndham vale, next to werribee, I used to see as many women as blokes treating their Holdens horribly!
Thanks to every intersection having a roundabout, everyone used to try drifting, revving the crap outa the cars, and when they messed that up, they just mounted the roundabout s and curbs anyway.
And when I used to shop at the woolies, the plain label motor oil was always sold out....
Just an opinion...

Gareth
Crack up, that's awesome.
P. S I just realised I confused Werribee with wendouree. Aussie names are all so similar.