Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

question: 11th month 78 'X' cast 308 head. what were they used for?

toranaL34

Reaction score
Members Ride
torana
L34 Head. That style was the performance version right up to the Brock "B" cast items of the mid 80's. Prob the 2nd best of the early style heads behind the "B" cast. VN type whips them all. VN "D" ports are the best stock head you will get.

Reaper

thx reaper, with its casting date, trying to figure out what it was produced for? the only thing which remotley sounds plausable is the artical in the AMC mag iss 30 pg 28 titled 'X Marks the Brock Spot'.

toranaL34

Reaction score
Members Ride
torana

Attachments

• IMG00078.jpg
    IMG00078.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 622

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yeah i think so it will be a pollution head

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Now its a pollution head, its not from a L34. Certainly looks to be off a 1978 era V8. As for the part number, ain't in my VB-VK Parts catalogue. I'll look into my other Holden V8 history book, when i find it.

toranaL34

Reaction score
Members Ride
torana
Now its a pollution head, its not from a L34. Certainly looks to be off a 1978 era V8. As for the part number, ain't in my VB-VK Parts catalogue. I'll look into my other Holden V8 history book, when i find it.

thanx, this one is frustrating. :bang:

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Ok, been looking about, the EGR port is a HX-VH spec item but the X cast is a L34 spec. I think someone has been playing around with a welder!.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Ok, been looking about, the EGR port is a HX-VH spec item but the X cast is a L34 spec. I think someone has been playing around with a welder!.

Hmmm.... I thought that Holden did various runs of the "big valve" heads over the years for the race teams. The X looks too neat to be welded.

Reaper

toranaL34

Reaction score
Members Ride
torana

i found this picture from a 2007 thread on old holden. the guy also did'nt know what it was. but the X is very simular. it really does'nt appear to be a weld. It actually looks very simular to a genuin L34 head that I have.

Attachments

• DSC00511.JPG
    DSC00511.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,985

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Hmmm.... I thought that Holden did various runs of the "big valve" heads over the years for the race teams. The X looks too neat to be welded.

Reaper

They did, but most casting marks weren't evident. That includes the part numbers too.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
i found this picture from a 2007 thread on old holden. the guy also did'nt know what it was. but the X is very simular. it really does'nt appear to be a weld. It actually looks very simular to a genuin L34 head that I have.

That is true, L34s did have them, but those heads are non pollution spec. The one you have is pollution spec. Early VC and VH HDTs with the big valve heads, L34 spec also had X cast into them as well. This is before B cast heads were made.