Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question about a wheel speed sensor on VX Berlina LS1?

scrano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina LS1
Hi guys, I've been having that problem that a lot of guys on here have been having, where every now and then, the Traction Control Off light is coming on, and I can't turn it on or off, until I re-start the car.

From all of the reading that I've done on here, it sounds as though it's a faulty wheel speed sensor, and a couple of weeks ago when it happened, I did why someone had suggested in another thread, about faulty ABS modules, and possible faulty wheel speed sensors, and I physically unplugged the ABS wiring loom when it happened (whilst the car was still running), too see if it corrected the light/button issue, and it did, and it went away as soon as I unplugged the loom, and then plugged it back in, but I wanted too know, if there's a way that I can find out for myself, which wheel speed sensor is faulty?

I'm assuming that it's just 1 of the wheel speed sensors, because I haven't been getting any other sort of warning lights coming on at all, just the Traction Control Off light, and most guys that have had faulty ABS modules, have reported a bunch of various ABS related warning lights coming on, when it was the module itself.

I don't mind replacing the sensor myself, I just need too know, whether there's a way that I can find out which one is faulty?

Also, are they just called wheel speed sensor's, because I did a search on eBay on Holden Wheel Speed Sensor, and a few different other variations of that, like VX Speed Sensor, LS1 Wheel Sensor, and stuff like that, on eBay, and I couldn't find much listed for some reason.

Thanks in advance guys

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Bridge pins 5 and 12 in the diagnostic connector under the dash and turn the ignition switch to ON, this will flash up any logged ABS error codes on the ABS dashlight, very similar to flashing up the diagnostic ECU codes on the check engine light on older commys.
Code 12 shows theres no ABS error codes logged. I have a complete list of the various ABS error codes for VX models if you post up what codes you get, if any.

scrano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina LS1
Thanks mate, I didn't think that you could actually bridge the pins to bring up error codes, with an LS1/Gen 3 powered VX at all, I thought that you could only do it with the V6's. I thought that you had to do it via a scan tool, but wasn't absolutely sure. I'll have a look tomorrow and see what comes up

Thanks again

scrano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina LS1
Is there a thread on here somewhere, about how too read/interpret the ABS dash lights, as they flash. I'm assuming that it's similar to what you'd do with the V6's, where a certain amount of flashes, corresponds to a certain fault code, but I'm not sure whether it's exactly the same flash reading sequence, like the 6's. I just wanna be sure that I interpret the light flashing sequence right.

Also, I'm assuming that it'll be pin 5 from the top left of the ALDL connector, and continue on to the bottom left to right for the second row of pins, is that right?

Again thanks

scrano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina LS1
I just came across this thread, on reading ABS error codes https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/abs-error-codes.56087, with a VR/VS, but it looks as though it's the same procedure for VT/VX's, so I just wanted too make sure that it'll work with a VX that's powered by an LS1/Gen 3?

And I also found this thread about reading error codes for V6 powered VT/VX's https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vt-vx.23665, but I just wanted too make sure that it's the same flash sequence, so I read/interpret the error codes correctly (I know it won't work for reading engine error codes, but I'm hoping that it'll work for reading the abs error codes)

Thanks mate

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The VT to VZ workshop manual says that bridging pins 5 and 12 in the diagnostic connector will flash up the ABS fault codes on all VT and VX models. Theres a big list of ABS codes, theyre read just the same as normal ECU codes were read on older commys,
eg- 1 flash, followed by 2 quicker flashes, equals code 12 etc.

scrano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina LS1
Thanks mate, I appreciate that, I really do. I'll give it a go tomorrow, and see what error codes come up. I might send you a PM tomorrow with the list of codes that come up, because I've found a list of some of them, but I don't think its the complete list, just the main ones. That's if you don't mind mate

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Na, not a problem mate, glad to help out if I can.

scrano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina LS1
Thanks mate, it's appreciated. I'm looking at a VT/VX workshop manual here, and I'm trying too find a complete list of all of the ABS error codes, and I can't find them, but I have found the codes for the wheel speed sensors. It looks as though 28 is for a general/unknown wheel speed sensor fault code, 21, 25 are for the front sensors, and 31, and 35 are for the rears, but then further down it says that 23, and 27 are for front wheel speed sensors, and 33 and 37 are for rear wheel speed sensors, so it's sort of unclear, because it doesn't even break it down into which code is for which sensor, and it obviously lists 2 sets of codes for the front, and the rear (21, and 25 for the front, or 23, and 27, and then 31, and 35 for the rear, and also 33 and 37). So it's a little confusing

scrano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina LS1
Just a question, why can't I find wheel speed sensor's when I'm searching for them on eBay? I must be using the wrong search phrase or something?? I've tried a bunch of variation's, using Holden, gen 3, LS1, and even dropping both wheel, and speed from the search phrase, and I'm not finding anything.

I don't know whether they have another specific name that they go by, or whether I'm just using the wrong search phrases. I just wanted too see what they're worth, but I can't even find an eBay listing, under the search phrases that I'm using, so I'm obviously doing something wrong