Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question about AFM

Mp64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Just bought a VE SS MY9.5 with AFM. I've heard the system isnt great and can be dodgy? and that you could get better fuel efficiency with a tune anyway. What kind of money am I looking at to get it removed and get a tune? Thanks

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
just keep it till u want a cam or something as removing it isn't cheap while u can turn it off all the same mechanical stuff is still there so u may as well use it

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The big issue with AFM tends to be related lifter failure when using a bigger a CAM (from what I’ve read). Some deactivate the AFM by software as they don’t like droning with their updates exhaust systems (again from what I’ve read).

If it’s all standard, just use quality synthetic oil and you shouldn’t have any issues. Don’t forget to periodically inspect the AFM filter which is located under the oil pressure sensor towards the rear of the intake plenum ;)

PS: removing AFM lifters requires the heads to be removed, hence why it’s only don't with CAM upgrades or if there are any hardware failures.