Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question about AFM

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by Mp64, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Mp64

Mp64 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE
    Just bought a VE SS MY9.5 with AFM. I've heard the system isnt great and can be dodgy? and that you could get better fuel efficiency with a tune anyway. What kind of money am I looking at to get it removed and get a tune? Thanks

2. 07GTS

07GTS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VEGTS BLOWN E85
    just keep it till u want a cam or something as removing it isn't cheap while u can turn it off all the same mechanical stuff is still there so u may as well use it

Skylarking and lmoengnr like this.
  3. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    The big issue with AFM tends to be related lifter failure when using a bigger a CAM (from what I’ve read). Some deactivate the AFM by software as they don’t like droning with their updates exhaust systems (again from what I’ve read).

If it’s all standard, just use quality synthetic oil and you shouldn’t have any issues. Don’t forget to periodically inspect the AFM filter which is located under the oil pressure sensor towards the rear of the intake plenum ;)

PS: removing AFM lifters requires the heads to be removed, hence why it’s only don't with CAM upgrades or if there are any hardware failures.

07GTS likes this.
  4. VECalaisV8Wagon

VECalaisV8Wagon New Member

Members Ride:
    VE CalaisV Wagon