Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question about buying VS UTE for first car

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
Hey guys, I'm new to this but i'l give it a shot.

Im 17 and soon wanting to buy a vs ute. ive seen alot with like 180,000ks.
I know it seems like a fair amount, but ive also some with 250000-300,000+ around, which i think means they can last. :hmmm:

so my question is, for this type of car is buying one with around 170,000 k's gonna be ok still?
im in melbourne, VIC and will hopefully spend around $8k.

Cheers guys.

VS-S-PACK-UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute
hey mate, 170000 k's is a low number for most vs utes, i bought mine with 203000 and it still goes really nice, however i have had to replace engine mounts,sway bar bushes and panhard rod bushes. thats all that the car required to handle nicely, have since spent a few dollars buyin performance upgrades for it and for about 1500 u can make the car hammer :) u cant go wrong with vs utes mate, lower k's means jack **** however, its how its been looked after for them k's that counts.

VSCristian

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VP Commodore Executive V8 A4
8k is really pricy, but then again utes keep their value better than sedans.. if looked after they'll go for 400,000kms and then some!

personally, i'd get a 4-5k sedan, and put the rest of the $into exhaust, tranny, engine, intake etc.

lol, with 3-4k to play with ud get around 140-150rwkw... or more if you're lucky

VSCristian

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VP Commodore Executive V8 A4
i bought my VS with 211 on clock, now on 287 and running like a dream... better actually because of intake, exhaust and other goodies

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
Cheers guys,

yeah well theres a heap of sedans around cheap as chips but i really just want a ute :p

But yeah loads of the utes ive seen, especially the manuals are up around that mark. im happy to pay around that coz im probably not going to do many upgrades as p platers arent allowed much down here.

but is there anything i should be looking out for when buying one?
im hoping a manual.

cheers

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
I know this might sound silly but Just be careful some can be thrashed
180,000 thats pretty low km
V6 For 8k sould to be in a1 tip top condition
Just my thoughts

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
Yeah i definatly agree, vs commo series would be up there in the most thrashed cars haha.

but yeah i reakon i could find some around 180-190k which would be sweet.
Also i dont think i'l spend much if anything on mods, but what would everyone recommend for just basic, not expensive and p-plate legal mods i could add. I might do something about a basic stereo and new rims, even though i pretty much know next to nothing about all different types of speakers and **** id need!

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
Legal mods.. I don't know if its legal but internal mods would be good if you got the $
I think if cops can't see it they don't know nothing

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
yeah well id rather spend cash to make it look good than illegal mods.

also on the topic of mods, do things like CAI, exhaust improve/decrease life of a car?or no differencee