Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question about changing break pads on vt calais 98

richieriviere

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais VT 98
Hi All,

Last night I got the back wheels off my VT Calais in preperation to replace the brake pads. I have read on some cars that you can replace the break pads without the need to unbolt the calipers however on the VT Calais 98 I don't think that can be done. It looks to me like the best way to do it on my car would be to remove the bottom bolt on the caliper and then lef the caliper up from the top bolt and replace the pad.

I'm just looking for some confirmation that I'm right and there are no tricks to replace the break pad without needing to unbolt the caliper.

thanks

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
I've always found it easier to remove the calliper, makes life easier when using a G-Clamp to wind the piston back in as well.
5 Minutes saved not removing it, will be 5 minutes spent getting the piston back in, or 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
undo the lower slide bolt flip the calliper up remove old pads , check slides for smooth operation clean and lube as required , using G clamp push piston back , fit new pads , refit calliper check for correct fitment of anti rattle springs ontop of brake pads do up the lower slide bolt .
or you could undo the two fixed bracket bolts and remove the complete calliper as a unit ????

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
undo the lower slide bolt flip the calliper up remove old pads , check slides for smooth operation clean and lube as required , using G clamp push piston back , fit new pads , refit calliper check for correct fitment of anti rattle springs ontop of brake pads do up the lower slide bolt .
or you could undo the two fixed bracket bolts and remove the complete calliper as a unit ????

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
as tom said...its alot easier to just undo the 2nd bolt. if you have recently topped up the brake fluid, id advise siphoning some fluid back out of the reservoir - otherwise it may overflow when u put the new pads in, and spread them apart, forcing fluid back into the reservoir... and ull b left with a horrible mess to clean up lol.

u can buy a proper brake disc spreader from an auto or tool store for about $15-$20. but a g-clamp or f-clamp will do the trick aswell.

depending on how badly worn the old pads were, and if they did any damage to the discs, it might pay to have the discs skimmed for $50...or just buy a new set (nowadays it generally works out cheaper to replace them, than to skim them for most cars)...otherwise u may chew the new pads out alot quicker by running them on worn discs.

then do a quick lap of the block and bed them in properly.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I did the slide bolts also but both and removed caliper and pushed back pistons with a g-clamp

Regrease and done

Friken easy.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Undo bottom slide bolt and lift up pivoting on the top pin as everyone has said.
If you need to remove the caliper/piston assembly then just slide the top slide pin out still attached to the caliper, clean pin and regrease, slide it back in and push the dust cover back on.

Only time you need to remove the bracket is if you are replacing the rotors.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
dont forget a bit of antisqueel on the back of the pads or you may be doing the job again next week

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Kind of on same subject

What pads ppl using these days? The Bendix Stealth any good?