Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question about factory theft system, 2004 Pontiac GTO

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
My first visit was in 1989. Leonard wood had just opened and St Robert was much smaller than Waynesville. There was a small Wallmart and not much else there. The "night life" was a couple of seedy bars with topless dancing girls in Waynesville and if I remember correctly a Gentlemans Club in St Robert. Big Louies certainly didn't exist! Almost all the vehciles were pickups with air tailgates.

When I was posted over there in Christmas 02 St Robert had outgrown Wanesville at least 2:1 and the money injected into the town by the military was unbelievable. The percentage of cars to pickups had increased - but was definitely still heavily weighted towards pickups.

I was last over there in 06 and hotels had sprung up in town - I almost didn't recognise the place. It was amazing how much it had grown in a couple of years. The money the US Military Machine injects into the economy has to be seen to be believed and I expect, with the medical benefits tied to the base, many of the ex Military retire into the community and it continues to grow. I can understand why they stay too; if you are into the outdoors the Ozarks is a great place to be.

I need to get back over there one day - just to have another look. and one more brisket at the Elbow. I guess I would also have to drop into Springfield to see Homer and MArge and check out just how big Bass Pro has become (We referred to it as Killing World because if you needed something to kill something you could buy it at BassPro). You never know - maybe one day I'll see a GTO in Lebanon!

Cheers

Reactions: Lex

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Pontiac GTO 5.7 LS1 6 speed
You won't recognize the area if you come back to visit. They have put so much money into the Fort... new buildings, new hotel, road paving. Waynesville and St. Robert have gotten face lifts too. Bass Pro has grown and they built a new museum/aquarium next to the store.