Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

question about keeping traction in utes and getting used to power. 290RKW.

bradizle

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN CALAIS
Hi guys...

as my utes just about to head into get a tune... im looking at around 290rkw on e85 with the supporting mods ive done so far.

however a close friend of mine has told me im going to have quite a few traction issues... His sportwagon with 270 really struggles off the mark with 1st and 2nd. and can be quite hairy hitting 2nd at 70km... He has warned me about my ute. I had a shitty close call last year in an older vy one tonner with an ls1 in it with leaf springs... Even heading straight and down shifting to second was shitty to try keep the thing on the path to straight :hmmm:

while all fun and games aside its a daily driven work ute. I do want more power but how much is too much is the real question im probly getting too...

Im running stock VE FORGED alloys in 19" with 245 all around id like to keep the appearance as stock as possible and not interested in getting new rims to faciliate huge tyres like 275's for traction... Ill have to check what the VF redline ute tyre sizes are as im running as im in the same engine (l77 270kw) i think they come with 275' but correct me if im wrong.... I only have kuhmo k31's... they were $150 a tyre. How much does tyres come into a play when we are talking up near 300rkw with 245 width?

To all the guys that have power up in the 270-300 in a ve ute... whats it like? As my friend says am i just going to powersliding all the way to 3rd gear which I really don't want happening... or is he just full of ****?

I must also add, the car has nothing off the mark. its all midrange and top end for me where the true power starts and I would like to keep it that way. I find loosing traction when the car is at speed can be scary... I guess we all give our cars a squirt here and there but i just dont want it to be wild like my friends making it out to be in a daily driven ute....

Im use to its power now and it doesnt feel what it used to be....... when i first got it it was rocket fast. as i mentioned...There is no traction issues at the moment, has barely any low down power , i dont know if the utes are tuned this way for the reason they are utes?

Don't know what route to take after my friend has told me basically ill be trying to tame a wild beast when i want to give it a squirt here and there...

Cheers.

WAGONBEAST57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon V8 A4
Lol, think your mate might be talking it up a bit. I know a few blokes like that who carry on, mostly younger ones who think their ecotecs are weapons.

You'll be right mate. If you've got traction control leave it on. Be sensible with the right foot and it will be fine.

bradizle

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN CALAIS
Lol, think your mate might be talking it up a bit. I know a few blokes like that who carry on, mostly younger ones who think their ecotecs are weapons.

You'll be right mate. If you've got traction control leave it on. Be sensible with the right foot and it will be fine.

thanks mate.... yeah this fellow friend does talk it up a fair bit.... whether to believe him or not is the question...

Quickest car ive been in was 180sx with 300kw... thing was wild... very light car.... track car with street tyres on at the time.... no backseats ... etc etc...
But unlike a v8 with continious sort of power.... turbo which brings on power real quick with loads of force...sort of thing... Hard to explain... you get my drift.

as for traction control... its a real lifesaver when i first jumped in the ve.. I find it works really great. Hardly comes off.

WAGONBEAST57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon V8 A4
Yea that's the thing, a properly tuned v8 will have nice linear power delivery, so its pretty easy to keep it sensible really

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
Activate the traction control and buy some decent rubber in it's current 245 size, as more width in cheap rubber doesn't equal grip.

K-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Not a ute, but my SSV has 315rwkw, big cam etc. I use it as my daily, drive it to footy, the shops, everywhere. It has never had an uncommanded power slide up to 3rd gear.

Don't drive like a twat, leave the traction control on when commuting and you'll have a good time while not attracting attention to yourself.

bradizle

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN CALAIS
1450309_10152087249492329_530309279_n.jpg
Activate the traction control and buy some decent rubber in it's current 245 size, as more width in cheap rubber doesn't equal grip.

awesome. gooood to know....

Like the Russo performance ssv ute......I remember him wanting a stock look..... It's still rolling on its stock rims... cammed and charged making some hugeeee power.

bradizle

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN CALAIS
Not a ute, but my SSV has 315rwkw, big cam etc. I use it as my daily, drive it to footy, the shops, everywhere. It has never had an uncommanded power slide up to 3rd gear.

Don't drive like a twat, leave the traction control on when commuting and you'll have a good time while not attracting attention to yourself.

good to know.... if you give it a hit do you hold traction ? what's it like giving it a squirt?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Old trick , put a bag of cement in the back of the tray , added weight ,(a bit ) , added traction . :p

Angry8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF HSV Maloo UTE Walkinshaw 557
My SS Ute has 330 KW at rear wheel ,tyres make a huge difference .
When I purchased it the seller put new tyres on it Rotallas they were so bad it would spin up even in the dry over 2500 rpm 1st 2nd and 3rd
In the wet it was actually dangerous worst tyre unless your a drifter LOL
Put some Kumohs on cheap and grippy made a huge improvement but it all comes down to your right foot
be smooth and judicial in its application .