Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

question about keeping traction in utes and getting used to power. 290RKW.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
As long as you drive it smoothly as you should on the street there should be no troubles if you do as said above the traction control should help you out. Your mate having it in second at 70 isn't exactly driving normally (for most anyway) so you should have no worries.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I don't know about the weight distribution on a ute but I'm packing 300rwkw in the Senator with a ####ton of torque which would be similar distribution to a sportswagon. It hooks up real nice but you can tear up the rears if you want to. I could imagine those that can't drive having a problem with it which really means they should sell the car and go back to driving school.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
I've had 270rwkw in a VY ute with no traction control for about 3 years now. Expensive or cheap tyres with zero traction have never given me any issues. Don't drive like a f#ckwit and you'll do just fine.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Haha that's silly!

1. Yes your friend is full of ****.

2. Horsepower is not what's going to spin wheels off the mark in your ute mate, relax. Take a look at what rpm your mods need to achieve to get near 300 rwkw... If anything it's the torque delivery difference you have to manage when you bypass the car's torque management, as part of the tune for high rpm / max kW. .

3. Don't worry about losing traction or changing your 245s for fear of spinning at speed because you are tuning an L77 with bolt-ons for 290kw target, hence your torque will be lower and your ute will still weigh nearly two tonne (unlikely to spin the wheels past 50kph). Leave Traction Control On though, please.

4. Where did you get KU31s for $150?

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I've got a ute with 360rwkw and spins up in 2nd even with traction on etc when you put ya foot down, normal driving no issues.

Got some RE55's (semi slick)on the back no traction issues, just hooks up

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Runing a stock diff and not stupidly hard suspension?
As long as you have half decent tyres (pretty much any tyres with > 60% tread that are less then 3 years old)
You'll have no traction problems what so ever - it will be basicly the same as it is now.
the traction control/esc is so could good you pretty much cant loose it (with in reason).

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
I've got a ute with 360rwkw and spins up in 2nd even with traction on etc when you put ya foot down, normal driving no issues.

Got some RE55's (semi slick)on the back no traction issues, just hooks up
Ive got ~340rwkw on e85 with 4.11's and can power skid in 3rd at 100kph.
but it wont do it unless Im trying to do it.
1st and 2nd used to spin at high rpm but better tyres fixed that problem.

290 rwkw wont be an issue.
I belive anything over 280 rwkw is unachievable with out a rather large cam so I doubt 290rwkw is going to happen anyway...
You'll have 0 traction issues mate.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Ive got ~340rwkw on e85 with 4.11's and can power skid in 3rd at 100kph.
but it wont do it unless Im trying to do it.
1st and 2nd used to spin at high rpm but better tyres fixed that problem.

290 rwkw wont be an issue.
I belive anything over 280 rwkw is unachievable with out a rather large cam so I doubt 290rwkw is going to happen anyway...

Yes agreed it is not easy but there's several 285rkw pro tuner examples before cracking the heads, but with same lift as LS2, high rpm valvetrain control, an extra few degrees duration on standard cam, custom intake to force tumble into the runners, whistle clear TB plus the usual top spec bolt-ons, MBT tuned to e85 you will get over 300. I've done it.

But It's not all about the kW in our car either.

Last edited:

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Unless your brain doesn't work or you use **** tyres traction is not an issue in any vechle.

bradizle

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN CALAIS
thanks for the replys guys.... i understand normal driving is fine but what i meant at the start of the thread if I happen to nail the car on the exit of the freeway ... or drop down to second on the freeway will i break traction and all **** would break loose is what I don't want... same with launching off in 1st gear its just going spin its ass off.
My rear tyres have had it now currently... might be time to invest in some new tyres... probly just will end up getting some more kuhmo ku31's to match the front.. but the re55's are awesome..

PIRATE... got them in a suspension shop here in syd... On special at the time as they were sitting around :D