Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question about lowering a VT commodore?

jokinwifdajoker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim V6
Hey, I own a VT commodore, and just put some Pedders on front and back, dropped the car a fair bit. 100mm is available.
My question is, I would like to go a bit higher, without taking out my springs, I just want it to sit nicely. I currently have 15" stockies on.

What I want to know is, if I put 17's, or 18's on, will the car sit up a bit higher? Or will it not make a difference.
Thanks guys, I'd appreciate all the help I can get.

Also want to know, I brought my springs off ebay (pedders, red kind) do they come in different sizes for VT's? I'm not exactly sure of the size of mine, I just know it sits lower then it did.
I rang up the Pedder store, and the guy reckens nothing Pedder is "illegal". Not sure what he meant, I tried telling him they look "Super Low" and he practically kept on saying, that King Springs are the only type that name them "SL, SSL, L, SSSL"

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
I can say from experience when I had my WH Statesman (that was very low) with stock 16's, that 18" and 19" wheels didn't make a difference to the height. But when I fitted 20" wheels, it did lift the car a little (not much), but it was noticeable.

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Go back to pedders and buy spring spacers of them. Tell them how much higher you want to go and they will give you the correct spacers.

jokinwifdajoker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim V6
I can say from experience when I had my WH Statesman (that was very low) with stock 16's, that 18" and 19" wheels didn't make a difference to the height. But when I fitted 20" wheels, it did lift the car a little (not much), but it was noticeable.

mate, my car sits exactly same as your vs, is that legal what you have on that car in your photo? has cops ever pulled you up, and not mentioned the springs?

jokinwifdajoker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim V6
Go back to pedders and buy spring spacers of them. Tell them how much higher you want to go and they will give you the correct spacers.

Thanks buddy, appreciate that, I might do just that. I'll check it out tomorrow! :) Cheers

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
What I want to know is, if I put 17's, or 18's on, will the car sit up a bit higher? Or will it not make a difference.

This will only make a difference if the rolling diameter is bigger than the original wheel and tyre. Even then, it'll be not that much higher until you start going to large diameter wheels.

As for your question about the amount of S's in the King springs P/N, it's just that, a P/N. The amount of S's in no way dictates how low your car will sit. If you look in the King Springs catalogue, sometimes they use the same spring in different models (i.e. VN-VS, VT-VX etc...), and the drop for each model is different despite using the same part. You'll find parts with one S in the U/low section and parts with three S's in the S/Low section.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
mate, my car sits exactly same as your vs, is that legal what you have on that car in your photo? has cops ever pulled you up, and not mentioned the springs?

With my VS, the extractors sit pretty low with makes it just below the limit. But I have never been pulled over or questioned about it. There was once when I was pulled over, the cop walked around the car and had a look around the interior (from the drivers window), but he didn't say anything, just told me to take it easy when i'm driving lol.

I think that if you keep your car in excellent condition, and they can see that you really look after it, they don't give you a hard time. My VS is still in new condition and they would be able to see that. But if you start being stupid doing burnouts, speeding, dragging, etc, then you are asking for trouble.

Anyway, my VS is 2 inches below standard height, may have sagged abit over the years plus it has a fair bit of weight in the boot.

jokinwifdajoker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim V6
I also want to know if there was 100mm clearance on the car with the lowered springs on, can it pass a roadworthy, with the kings on (considering they are legal height..)