Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question about max torque

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
aternoon ladies n gents

As the title says, i've a question on V6 ecotec max torque. I know that max torque for these engines peak out at 3600rpm stock.. does that mean that after 3600rpm the torque pretty much flat lines?

If you could change/adjust the max torque rpm, what would be an ideal peak for these puppies with a few mods? ie 1.9 RR, exhaust, CAI, 70m throttle body.

If all the mods done to the engine, where tuned to the 3600rpm torque settings, would this mean that it'd peak hard to 3600rpm then drop off afterwards, leaving the rest of the rev range useless??

Cheers guys

knowledge_is_power

Quest for Cognition
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6 A4
Your best bet would be to look at a dyno graph with the torque shown. The ecotech will peak at around 3600rpm but will drop of after that. The way to adjust what rpm the torque max out at is with a cam and its timing. Different cam profiles will give you different peak points as well as different torque spreads throughout the rpm

As to what point you want to have peak torque would depend on application. If you have lots of friends and regularly have many passengers or tow then a lower rpm peak is better. But if you are a little light in the friends department and remove car mats to give yourself the weight advantage on the street then you can go for a higher rpm peak. You would also need a higher rpm stallie if auto to get the car moving.

Jezz

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
thanks Jezz, ur rides looking sweet btw :)

hahah all depends on what mood im in, whether or not i let the friends ride in the beast.

I'm mainly after a nice street machine type setup, i dont tow. I want a relativaly full use rev range, but in sayin that i want to tweak her a lil more in the torque area.. Still after N/A style, so not looking to go forced down the track. any benefits in modding everything for the 3600rpm range? or will i hit 3600, then just flat line til next gear? i know theres a lot u can do to these motors, but are most changing peak torque? or is this outcome only really being noticed on when the car hits the dyno?

John

knowledge_is_power

Quest for Cognition
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6 A4
ephect said:
ur rides looking sweet btw
Thanks ephect.

To increase torque output from an engine you will need to either force feed it or increase its capacity ie increase bore and stroke.

A cam can marginally increase torque, but in most cases it takes torque from one part of the rev range and adds it to another. The way modern engines get around this is to have variable cam timing. If you wanted to modify and "tweak" torque and its spread you would be better off with a 190 alloytech with its variable cam timing on intake and exhaust cams and edit the pcm which controls the cam phasing.

Another thing that most people do, including myself, is change the diff ratio to increase torque at the rear wheels as a differential is a torque multiplier.

Jezz

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
for a street driven car you want an engine with a very flat torque curve from just above idle to as far as it will go, for your answer on the mods you intend, follow the shortcut i've put bellow and it should answer most of your questions with a dyno graph to back there figures.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=45591