Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question about Plugging iPhone into Amp...

99VSIIIUte

VS III Ute
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VS III Ute
Hi All,

I have a VS II Berlina and it has a fairly old Pioneer head unit in it (DEH-P4350). From what I can gather it doesnt have an Auxilary input on the back of the head unit so cant get a stereo to 3.5mm lead and use that to run my iPhone through the head unit.

I do however have an amp which runs the Sub, Front, & Rear speakers. I was wondering what the best way to run the iPhone through the amp would be?? My Mrs would probably have a coronary if I said I want a new head unit in it as I've just spent alot of cash on it recently....

I have tried using those piggy back RCA leads and running stereo to 3.5mm audio lead to my iPhone but this only works if I change the head unit to an unused radio frequency and turn the head unit down - so it is there for running straight from the iPhone. Im thinking this probably isn't ideal and the amp wouldnt really love it...Also that means that I'm only running it through two speakers (either the fronts or the rears - I can choose).

Basically what I'm asking is how can I run my iPhone through my current setup on the cheap and preferably through all speakers?

Any info or suggestions would be awesome....

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Getting a new Mrs is probably going to be the easiest option.

Otherwise you could try an FM transmittor device. Basically the portable music device plugs into the transmitor, and the transmittor into a 12v source (generally cigeratte lighter socket) You can then select the radio frequency in which to send the signal to, basically which ever has the better reception.

Other than that, a 3.5 mm into 2 RCA plug will work ( i think that may have been what you were reffering to) however you will only get the signal through which ever RCA line you choose to the amps path, depending on how many channels the amplifier has (you didn't meantion) as to whether it be front, rear, ect, not ideal either.

Using a tricky layout of RCA couplings could make all channel work at once, but you will lose faded control. Also i'm unsure as to the change to the output voltage when you start using that many signals coupled into one. But seeing as you only have on amp at the moment, it would help if you could answer the question as to whether your current head unit has more than one pre-out i.e front, rear, and sub, or whether its a single pre-out model and your just using all the amplifiers channels.

Other than that, the best solution for you is obviously a new head unit. Obviously it doesen't have to be brand new, you could easily source a cheap head unit with a 3.5 mm input. Unless your after full speed connection, then you should be able to find something for well under $100....

Last edited:

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Slightly off topic, but how do those 3.5mm to RCA cables work, I would have thought the 3.5mm plug on a player would be speaker-level outputs and not line-level, or is there a LOC built in?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I don't really know the technical explantion for how they work, some one might though.....

I always thought it was just a stereo signal from the 3.5mm split into 2 mono signals (RCA's).

You can buy ipod and iphone cables that take the low level signal from the dock port and convert into RCA but they are pretty dear for a decent one.