Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question about quality of cheap rims

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juice3, May 23, 2020 at 1:45 PM.

1. Juice3

Juice3 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VX
    I was going to buy a set of 18" rims that I really liked but now I've been put off after seeing pictures of cracked rims etc so my question is how likely will it be for cheap $250 each rims to crack from normal daily driving

2. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    Honestly I have seen newish factory rims crack especially when they are 17" and bigger.

How it occurs is due to offsets required to fit the car, combined with low profile tyres not giving support to the rim when used on our terrific roads.

When you look at the rim, there is no support on the inside area of the rim and a tyres side wall actually provides a form of shock absorbsion, so having very little sidewall width, means very little absorbsion....Combine this with the roads and you get the cracking.

So to answer your question....It will be pot luck.....You might get away with them not cracking, they might crack....No one can give you a honest 100% correct answer either way

3. Vin999

Vin999 Active Member

Members Ride:
    Vsedan
    I wouldn't say $250 a rim means they cheap, look at the original factory alloys selling 2nd online
    Buy what you can afford, most rims crack from abuse from slamming against gutters and hitting potholes not from tyre offsets or low profile tyres which most lastest cars use in their combo as standard on factory cars.

4. shane_3800

shane_3800 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr commo
    First of all they're wheels not rims a rim is the outer section of a wheel.
    If they're stamped with the approval logo then they "pass" but cheap wheels break easy it doesn't matter if you have gold plated tyres.
    I would buy a forged wheel personaly as they're far superiour to the cast ones.

5. vc commodore

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    If they don't crack from offsets and tyre profiles, explain why they crack from hitting pot holes especially on the inner edge....

Why don't smaller diametre rims, eg 14 to 16" rims crack, yet it is more common for 17" and higher diametre rims crack? All rims cop the same abuse s you are stating

6. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Ive heard that factory wheels are tested to a higher standard than aftermarket wheels so that’s always something to consider. That’s why my preference is to always buy factory wheels where possible.

But it seems cracked rims aren’t just isolated to cheap aftermarket stuff :eek: BMW cracked wheel class action settlement gets initial ok

Luckily there are other threads on JC that discusses wheels, genuine verses aftermarket, etc which you should search for and read. Here is one post I made not long ago ;)

7. shane_3800

shane_3800 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr commo
    The BMW wheel thing is only a certain models. My bosses wife had one with the wheel issue had them welded 3 times.
    I think they were trying to get the weight down. I think they moved to using BBS for there performance stuff because BBS has a CNC roll forge.
    I'll find the video I saw of it 7 or 8 years ago.

Edit found it.

8. vc commodore

Members Ride:
    vc commodore

I have struck factory Holden and Ford rims that have suffered from the cracking issue, as well as aftermarket....

Is this because I deal with wheels day in day out, I don't know....Worth considering

9. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Not surprised you see lots of cracked wheels but it's impossible to know the ratio ration of genuine to aftermarket wheels on the road and thus determine something from your experiances. You could obectively see lots of the same brand wheel being cracked but statisticians would say that's an anomaly.

What would be interesting would be the owners explanations when you tell them that the rim is cracked, whether they admit to fast driving on pothole roads or track work or such.

Last edited: May 25, 2020 at 8:06 PM
  10. vc commodore

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    They can tell me what they like...Where they most commonly crack, it's obvious it's a result of no support on the inner edge, combined with no sidewall in the tyre to help cushion potholes...If it was a result of fast driving over potholes, you have to ask the question, why don't smaller diametre rims ie 16" and lower, on Commodores suffer the same fate as much as the 17" and bigger...And yes I could mention a dozen other manufacturers, but it'd be pointless.

Yes I do see cracks and gauges as a result of neglectful driving, and again, it's not difficult to pick that....So owners can say what they like....I tend to switch off to those excuses ;)

As for statistics...Impossible to gauge whether aftermarket fail more than factory or visa versa...I can only go by what I see constantly with 17" and larger diametre rims and post my reasons why it occurs...If people which to research what I say and use a little common sense, they can determine whether there is any truth in it or not....

Of course there are some 16" and lower diametre rims that do suffer the same fate, but considering we are talking predomonently about Commodores, I won't post up all the other makes and models that it does occur with...But needless to say, it is still the result of what I have posted

Last edited: May 25, 2020 at 8:07 PM
  11. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Yeah, don’t disagree vehicle owners can be difficult and defensive while not want to actually listen, tell the truth or maybe learn, so not surprised you switch off.

Obviously more sidewall will reduce the force spike due to impact so hard impacts will smash the rim (especially if cast), Cracking is usually relayed to fatigue stress which is a cyclic loading issue in nature (and yes I think there are idiots drivers that seem to find all the potholes to hit so that’s cyclic in part)...

As is, whether genuine or aftermarket, rims have to survive normal road use or they are simply not fit for use if they suffer stress cracking (keeping in mind they aren’t sold with a specified life span). I’d not be happy if my rims cracked with normal use and I’d want the seller/manufacturer to stand by their product and fix them or refund their cost.

To minimise issues, these days I’d buy quality factory forged rims for my performance car and quality tyres to match. Cheep just doesn’t cut the mustard when you’ve got such a small footprint on the bitumen that must cope with all the drive turn and brake forces. Cheap crappy rims and tyres is just asking for problems especially if you have any sort of real power to channel to the ground.

Maybe the @Juice3 should look at the factory Holden drop forged 18” rims and avoid his concerns just for the sake of fashion :rolleyes:

12. vc commodore

Members Ride:
    vc commodore

Yes manufacturers have replaced cracked rims under warranty, but with this case of the OP, as you have suggested, buy new..At least there is a chance a warranty claim may be able to processed successfully if a cracking issue occurs

Cheap doesn't always mean you will encounter problems....Be it rims and/or tyres....Common mistake a lot of people make......

13. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Yes it’s true that cheap can also be good quality in 18” which won’t require so low a profile. But at 19” and more so at 20”, you want really good quality forged rims which can’t be found cheap. And quality rubber for the larger diameter low profile sizes also doesn’t come cheap.

14. vc commodore

Members Ride:
    vc commodore

Again, a common mistake saying quality ain't cheap...Doesn't always ring true....Lower profile on an 18" rim?????? If it's for a Commodore, you have to go a lower profile than a 17" to keep the rolling radius within tolerance. Same applies with other brands

Rubber price has no bearing prevention of rim cracking.....

Last edited: May 26, 2020 at 9:00 AM
  15. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    I haven’t made any mistakes about quality and we for the most part agree... While I know a little about wheels and tyres though probably not as much as someone working in the industry, I know cheap unknown crap from “Gina” is more than likely to be inferior for many reasons.....

Anyway ignoring tyre width for simplicity, for a given rolling diameter aspect ratio reduces as rim diameter goes up. Nothing magical, rather simple actually... but my “profile” comment was from another perspective you seemed to not pick up on. It was from the perspective of 19” or 20” wheels, so 18” won’t require so low a profile as compared to 19” or 20”.

And you are correct, rubber price has no bearing on rim cracking but aspect ratio or profile does... Meanwhile rubber price can have an impact on vehicle dynamics and safety which I thought was apparent from my statements....

Seems you like being argumentative.

16. vc commodore

Members Ride:
    vc commodore

Not being argumentative.....Rubber pricing doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be unsafe or effect dynamics....You appear to be argumentative in this area....Which is why I keep commenting common mistake made by people...And just so I please you, ESPECIALLY YOU

Last edited: May 26, 2020 at 1:11 PM
  17. Vin999

Vin999 Active Member

Members Ride:
    Vsedan
    The OP has stated his fears about cheap rims cracking from NORMAL DAILY DRIVING :)

So time to move on with your baseless opinions that have no scientific evidence of any kind not even a recommendation of your supposedly workplace address as proof, :eek:

The OP shouldn't have any problems with normal daily driving with factory standard 2nd rims or cheaper new ones, unless they have a manufacturing defect or he abuses them with reckless driving antics or they don’t comply with the car’s factory specs. :)

18. vc commodore

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    Others have also mentioned it..You haven't mentioned any reason why they wouldn't

As for my work...Sent a pm with it...If you didn't receive it, send me one, making sure you add an extra person of your choice into the messsage...That way, it'll definately show who is the bs artist....

I'd do it, but you have it so only you can send messages, noi one can send them to you....And you're the one that sent the first message to me way back in December last year

Last edited: May 27, 2020 at 12:20 PM