Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question about quality of cheap rims

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yeah, don’t disagree vehicle owners can be difficult and defensive while not want to actually listen, tell the truth or maybe learn, so not surprised you switch off.

Obviously more sidewall will reduce the force spike due to impact so hard impacts will smash the rim (especially if cast), Cracking is usually relayed to fatigue stress which is a cyclic loading issue in nature (and yes I think there are idiots drivers that seem to find all the potholes to hit so that’s cyclic in part)...

As is, whether genuine or aftermarket, rims have to survive normal road use or they are simply not fit for use if they suffer stress cracking (keeping in mind they aren’t sold with a specified life span). I’d not be happy if my rims cracked with normal use and I’d want the seller/manufacturer to stand by their product and fix them or refund their cost.

To minimise issues, these days I’d buy quality factory forged rims for my performance car and quality tyres to match. Cheep just doesn’t cut the mustard when you’ve got such a small footprint on the bitumen that must cope with all the drive turn and brake forces. Cheap crappy rims and tyres is just asking for problems especially if you have any sort of real power to channel to the ground.

Maybe the @Juice3 should look at the factory Holden drop forged 18” rims and avoid his concerns just for the sake of fashion :rolleyes:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yeah, don’t disagree vehicle owners can be difficult and defensive while not want to actually listen, tell the truth or maybe learn, so not surprised you switch off.

Obviously more sidewall will reduce the force spike due to impact so hard impacts will smash the rim (especially if cast), Cracking is usually relayed to fatigue stress which is a cyclic loading issue in nature (and yes I think there are idiots drivers that seem to find all the potholes to hit so that’s cyclic in part)...

As is, whether genuine or aftermarket, rims have to survive normal road use or they are simply not fit for use if they suffer stress cracking (keeping in mind they aren’t sold with a specified life span). I’d not be happy if my rims cracked with normal use and I’d want the seller/manufacturer to stand by their product and fix them or refund their cost.

To minimise issues, these days I’d buy quality factory forged rims for my performance car and quality tyres to match. Cheep just doesn’t cut the mustard when you’ve got such a small footprint on the bitumen that must cope with all the drive turn and brake forces. Cheap crappy rims and tyres is just asking for problems especially if you have any sort of real power to channel to the ground.

Maybe the @Juice3 should look at the factory Holden drop forged 18” rims and avoid his concerns just for the sake of fashion :rolleyes:

Yes manufacturers have replaced cracked rims under warranty, but with this case of the OP, as you have suggested, buy new..At least there is a chance a warranty claim may be able to processed successfully if a cracking issue occurs

Cheap doesn't always mean you will encounter problems....Be it rims and/or tyres....Common mistake a lot of people make......

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
...Cheap doesn't always mean you will encounter problems....Be it rims and/or tyres....Common mistake a lot of people make......
Yes it’s true that cheap can also be good quality in 18” which won’t require so low a profile. But at 19” and more so at 20”, you want really good quality forged rims which can’t be found cheap. And quality rubber for the larger diameter low profile sizes also doesn’t come cheap.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes it’s true that cheap can also be good quality in 18” which won’t require so low a profile. But at 19” and more so at 20”, you want really good quality forged rims which can’t be found cheap. And quality rubber for the larger diameter low profile sizes also doesn’t come cheap.

Again, a common mistake saying quality ain't cheap...Doesn't always ring true....Lower profile on an 18" rim?????? If it's for a Commodore, you have to go a lower profile than a 17" to keep the rolling radius within tolerance. Same applies with other brands

Rubber price has no bearing prevention of rim cracking.....

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Again, a common mistake saying quality ain't cheap...Doesn't always ring true....Lower profile on an 18" rim?????? If it's for a Commodore, you have to go a lower profile than a 17" to keep the rolling radius within tolerance. Same applies with other brands

Rubber price has no bearing prevention of rim cracking.....
I haven’t made any mistakes about quality and we for the most part agree... While I know a little about wheels and tyres though probably not as much as someone working in the industry, I know cheap unknown crap from “Gina” is more than likely to be inferior for many reasons.....

Anyway ignoring tyre width for simplicity, for a given rolling diameter aspect ratio reduces as rim diameter goes up. Nothing magical, rather simple actually... but my “profile” comment was from another perspective you seemed to not pick up on. It was from the perspective of 19” or 20” wheels, so 18” won’t require so low a profile as compared to 19” or 20”.

And you are correct, rubber price has no bearing on rim cracking but aspect ratio or profile does... Meanwhile rubber price can have an impact on vehicle dynamics and safety which I thought was apparent from my statements....

Seems you like being argumentative.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I haven’t made any mistakes about quality and we for the most part agree... While I know a little about wheels and tyres though probably not as much as someone working in the industry, I know cheap unknown crap from “Gina” is more than likely to be inferior for many reasons.....

Anyway ignoring tyre width for simplicity, for a given rolling diameter aspect ratio reduces as rim diameter goes up. Nothing magical, rather simple actually... but my “profile” comment was from another perspective you seemed to not pick up on. It was from the perspective of 19” or 20” wheels, so 18” won’t require so low a profile as compared to 19” or 20”.

And you are correct, rubber price has no bearing on rim cracking but aspect ratio or profile does... Meanwhile rubber price can have an impact on vehicle dynamics and safety which I thought was apparent from my statements....

Seems you like being argumentative.

Not being argumentative.....Rubber pricing doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be unsafe or effect dynamics....You appear to be argumentative in this area....Which is why I keep commenting common mistake made by people...And just so I please you, ESPECIALLY YOU

Last edited:

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
If they don't crack from offsets and tyre profiles, explain why they crack from hitting pot holes especially on the inner edge....

Why don't smaller diametre rims, eg 14 to 16" rims crack, yet it is more common for 17" and higher diametre rims crack? All rims cop the same abuse s you are stating

The OP has stated his fears about cheap rims cracking from NORMAL DAILY DRIVING :)

So time to move on with your baseless opinions that have no scientific evidence of any kind not even a recommendation of your supposedly workplace address as proof, :eek:

The OP shouldn't have any problems with normal daily driving with factory standard 2nd rims or cheaper new ones, unless they have a manufacturing defect or he abuses them with reckless driving antics or they don’t comply with the car’s factory specs. :)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The OP has stated his fears about cheap rims cracking from NORMAL DAILY DRIVING :)

So time to move on with your baseless opinions that have no scientific evidence of any kind not even a recommendation of your supposedly workplace address as proof, :eek:

The OP shouldn't have any problems with normal daily driving with factory standard 2nd rims or cheaper new ones, unless they have a manufacturing defect or he abuses them with reckless driving antics or they don’t comply with the car’s factory specs. :)

Others have also mentioned it..You haven't mentioned any reason why they wouldn't

As for my work...Sent a pm with it...If you didn't receive it, send me one, making sure you add an extra person of your choice into the messsage...That way, it'll definately show who is the bs artist....

I'd do it, but you have it so only you can send messages, noi one can send them to you....And you're the one that sent the first message to me way back in December last year

Last edited: