Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question about replacing the Body Control Module.

Blackened342

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive
I have a '95 VR Ute. I went to get a new key cut from Holden and they had troubles with it, So they booked my car in to get looked at. They frigged around with this, that and everything else and have now hit me up with an $840 bill, and my car is unable to be started. I've already been without it for over a week, and now they're saying it'll be a week MORE. I've booked a tow truck, and have told them I'm coming to pick the car up tomorrow, finished or not.. and I'll fix it myself (Which I should have done in the first place, but I was under the assumption that it was something that HOLDEN had to do themselves.)

I have done some research on the forum to try and find as much information as I can, but there are a few things that i'm unable to find out. First of all, if I buy a BCM from the wreckers (that comes with a key head) do I also have to replace the ECU of the car as well? Or can the BCM be replaced without replacing the ECU?

And will I have any issues starting the car, or turning the immobilizer on/off once I've replaced the BCM and/or ECU?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Blackened342

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive
So I shouldn't need to get the ECU out of the same car as the BCM?

yoshi87

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
try gettin a new key head first, take to auto elec and they might be able to see wat the prob is before going out and gettin a second hand bcm, try that first, #### going to holdens to find the source, they sometimes want more money from ppl

Blackened342

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive
I have had 2 new key heads for it now, and both can't be synced with the B.C.M. It makes sense that it needs to be replaced, plus holdens say that it's been water damaged. Now the only thing left to do is to get my car back from holdens. I'll be down there today at 2pm with a tow truck at the ready. Thanks for your help wamboin23 & Yoshi87!

yoshi87

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
no worries mate, wen u go to the wreckers get a bcm and new heads for ur keys, and take em to the auto elect and get em to train them