Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question About Shocks - 2000 VT Acclaim

josiah14smith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Just got the car serviced today for the first time since buying it, was told that the rear shocks were knocking and needed replacing.

Could someone explain to me what exactly this means and how urgent is it? Was quoted $300 is this a fair price?

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
well the shocks are worn out, better get them done now or you'll only have to get them done come roadworthy time (are a 'pink slip' item). Noisy shocks are a sign they are worn. Others include a crap ride and visible leakage.

$300 for the rears? its $700 for the lot routinely, depends on the brand they are putting in. Local dealer quoted me $750 for the 4, pedders $1000.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
Buy your own shocks off eBay and ask how much for just labour. Get a better brand and cheaper price. I paid 117 for shocks and 100 for labour (shocks and springs). Get the bushes changd. As well to save mmoney later.

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
10 characters.

Last edited:

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
Simple job. Do it yourself. Agree with Husky. You can get cheapies and quality brands off Ebay. Top bolts in the boot, bottom bolts attach to the suspension. A jack, jack stands a couple spanners and you're done. There's gotta be a "how to"on here somewhere. Lost count of how many times I've had rear shocks in and out for one reason or the other. Fronts are more difficult as you need spring compressors and some idea what you're doing but back's are child's play.

josiah14smith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Thanks for the info guys, I'm going to call the local suspension place and get a quote for Monroe's on the rear. Will also have a look on ebay and see what I can find. Does it make a difference that the car has been lowered?

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Thanks for the info guys, I'm going to call the local suspension place and get a quote for Monroe's on the rear. Will also have a look on ebay and see what I can find. Does it make a difference that the car has been lowered?

Depends on height but generally lowered cars need lowered shocks as well.