Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question about springs

commodore1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
Hi just a couple questions, what exactly do the rubber spring pad things do? The things that have to sit on the spring? Do you need them? I put SL king springs in and it's too low, with stock springs the back is way too high, without them rubber things for the springs it sits nice. I'm thinking about fe2 springs, I want to buy some second hand so how can I tell they are actual fe2 springs? For bow tho will it be right without the rubber things? Thanks in advance

Dave6179

Reaction score
Members Ride
HJ Belmont, VN Calais, VX SS
Spring insulators reduce road noise into the cabin. Leave them there! I found better insulators than the ones I had.... didn't know till then how important they were. And, too low is a pain in the ass! Sacrifice looks for 'user friendliness'. Day to day you will understand, forget what yer mates... and people you don't even know/care about think.
Happy motoring.

commodore1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
road noise is already bad in the car so that's all they are for? The back is too high and the headlights point straight to the ground, for the mean time will I be ok without them in until I can get fe2 springs to level it out a bit?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
They also locate the spring correctly and stop it moving around.
Metal to metal will wear, either the car body/suspension arms as they're the softer metal or worse case the spring, either is not good (spring steel tends to shatter when compromised without much warning)

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
holden did millions of dollars in research and development, might be a good idea to leave them in...

commodore1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
Maybe just wrap the springs in electrical tape.. Na jokes aside, where can I pick up a set of fe2 rear springs? And does anyone have any photos of how a VN looks on fe2

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Maybe just wrap the springs in electrical tape.. Na jokes aside, where can I pick up a set of fe2 rear springs? And does anyone have any photos of how a VN looks on fe2

ummmmmm.......

ebay?

LAP004

lifes-likethat
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp executive
holden did millions of dollars in research and development, might be a good idea to leave them in...

does that mean a ls1 in a vp would be a bad idea?? lol i think they really do just stop noise and vibrations( more of a comfort thing). but if fe2 can be found use them if they suit your needs.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
does that mean a ls1 in a vp would be a bad idea?? lol i think they really do just stop noise and vibrations( more of a comfort thing). but if fe2 can be found use them if they suit your needs.

bad if i decide i dont need engine mounts...