Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question For VE owners???

tigesinaus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 UTE
i recently bought an SV6 ute with the 5 speed auto..
ive noticed a few things which seem strange and was wondering if anyone had a similar experience or it is just my vehicle...

1) the car is auto and does not hold itself on hills (as in it rolls back) whilst its in drive (or in reverse). I asked the dealer about this and he tells me none of the VE's hold on hills... is this right?

2) if i slow down and let the car coast... there will be a largeish clunk when i go to accelerate again and speed up... not the smooth accereration i have experienced in other autos...

3) under moderate breaking, there is intermittant clunks somewhere in the drivetrain.. like the car is changing down, but very noticeable.... (its not the ABS tho...

any feedback would be great!!!

Mark17

hotrotor.17
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute 60th Ann
HI
I have a August 2008 Ute SV6 5,000klms There is no clunk on changing gears (Auto) up or down. I can hardly hear them changing but the only way i see them change is by looking at the Taco thats when you notice the auto changing when the taco moves quickly. My Auto is so quite I cant hear it change gears. For the car holding on hills mine holds with out the foot on the brake but on the flat if you take your foot off the brake it creeps forward slowly. Hope this will help you

Mark17

hotrotor.17
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute 60th Ann
If you are not happy at your dealer go to another dealer and get a second opinion. Sounds like there is some back lash in the drive train get it checked out.

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
ive noticed a few things which seem strange and was wondering if anyone had a similar experience or it is just my vehicle...

1) the car is auto and does not hold itself on hills (as in it rolls back) whilst its in drive (or in reverse). I asked the dealer about this and he tells me none of the VE's hold on hills... is this right?

2) if i slow down and let the car coast... there will be a largeish clunk when i go to accelerate again and speed up... not the smooth accereration i have experienced in other autos...

3) under moderate breaking, there is intermittant clunks somewhere in the drivetrain.. like the car is changing down, but very noticeable.... (its not the ABS tho...

1) Both VE's i have owned are the same..... roll backwards.

2) the V6 VE i owned did it one one or two occasions, but only after coasting and then slamming my foot to the floor to overtake.

3) The SS doesn't "clunk" but if i am driving it in "sports mode" i can feel it drop back gears as i slow down.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

Lol - can't say i'd noticed. I put the brake on when I want to stop on a hill.

Was this car bought new??? There shouldn't be any clunks. Is it coming from the front or rear??? Might have excessive backlash in the diff? (particularly if a previous owner gave it a hiding)

Shouldn't be any clunks like that. Neither of mine have had that issue. Might be because it's a V6???

Reaper

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
mine crawls up a hill with no brake or accelerator not backwards... lol get it checked by Holden.

tommo82

Non-donating member.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 HSV Senator
Tigesinaus,

Yes, I have all the same problems as you identify, except my car holds on hills. Sometimes it even idles up hills. I don't see this as an issue though.

Just poor design & manufacture.

VE ADZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 07 SV6
Tigesinaus,
yes my VE SV6 rolls back when stopped on a hill as well, contacted 3 different Holden Dealers about this and all have said it was due to the 5 speeder being active select, not too sure that this is correct or Holden havent figured out the problem yet

Ronaldw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS DEC 2007
I have a Calais and when I roll down hill I can feel the change of the gears, I also get a slight lag between a gear occasionally. I had the dealer check the gear box and he said that was ok as they change in a step type motion. It is like any car one is always different to another.
He also said the 5 speed was a very good box and you can really give it a go and it will take anything you can throw at it, he drove mine down the freeway and put in select and back kicked it down changed the gears so fast and the car took it all, he said it was perfect.

Last edited:

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
My SS does everything you said, but mine being a 4-speed, I didn't care

as for the roll back I guess it's normal in steep hills, the torque converter opens or something like it, it's for the safety of the tranny

cluncks, I hear them all the time

the V6 VE i owned did it one one or two occasions, but only after coasting and then slamming my foot to the floor to overtake.

me too

I don't think I should be worried, but should I ?