Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question on Headers and Cats..

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
I wish more people thought like that. For some, it makes no difference how it drives, just a big kW number is all that matters. Because that makes ALL the difference.

Agreed.

The power curve/torque is more important than a number.

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
I still tell my mates mine made more on the dyno though :beer chug:

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
I don't know what else to say... I feel.. at home...with smart people.....

My thoughts exactly.

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
The argument for big cams is that with their high top end, they will be faster down the 1/4mile, and for the most part, this is true, although not always....

What I found interesting reading through some Pontiac G8 forums is that alot of guys have tested several fairly conservative split duration high lift cams... They are obviously much nicer on the street, but due to the massive weight of our cars are proving to be comparable down the 1/4mile to much longer duration cams. This is due to the heavier car really utilizing the much fatter torque curve rather than just revving the rings off your engine with a huge cam...

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
The argument for big cams is that with their high top end, they will be faster down the 1/4mile, and for the most part, this is true, although not always....

What I found interesting reading through some Pontiac G8 forums is that alot of guys have tested several fairly conservative split duration high lift cams... They are obviously much nicer on the street, but due to the massive weight of our cars are proving to be comparable down the 1/4mile to much longer duration cams. This is due to the heavier car really utilizing the much fatter torque curve rather than just revving the rings off your engine with a huge cam...

True. Guy doing my upgrades retains AFM, runs a 221/225 .558/.564" 113+1 and its torque pulls a fat G8 to 11.84 at 122 on stock gear and converter.
He says smaller cams on tighter lsa with our heads and intake seems to do much better than larger cams which cam be hit or miss plus all the draw backs of large cams.
If you have airflow and heads that will support it, less duration with more lift will make broader power and give better street manners.
Follows an older article on the little cam that could... 219/223-duration, .625/.625-inch lift, 112 LSA article in GMHTP http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/lsx_engine/ghtp_1108_ls1_engine_cam_test/viewall.html

Last edited:

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
That second cam you mentioned is very close to what I had my eye on for awhile...

This is a weird series of posts... Seems to involve thought, reason, and not much 'I won't ma car 2 go wub wub wub at da lights for ma boiz....' Haha

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
Looks just like my cam :) 219/223 @ .600 i believe. not as much lift

petern64

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 6lt , 2017 Mustang GT , 2021 BT50 SP
to VE_Calais at the end of the day probably the best advise is to go the drags or car shows and talk to people face to face and listen to their cars and ask them their opinions . I'm not an exhaust guru nor am I trying to sell you something but I've been driving modded street cars for a long time,
mild to wild , I have used 4 into 1 extractors & tri Y's for different applications ,twin 2 1/2 & twin 3" exhausts as well

enough said

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
That second cam you mentioned is very close to what I had my eye on for awhile...

This is a weird series of posts... Seems to involve thought, reason, and not much 'I won't ma car 2 go wub wub wub at da lights for ma boiz....' Haha

This sums it up I think

I don't know what else to say... I feel.. at home...with smart people.....

My thoughts exactly.

Retaining the MAF gives a much more refined tune. You can tune your trims at all rev ranges not just at WOT with MAFless. You will get smoother delivery and better economy with a MAF tune, and it keeps the EPA happy.

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
30 days no sign of tax still... I want my exhaust god dammit!!!!!! And my tune. But I was told the same maf tunes are the way to go with a street car.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2