Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question on VT auto gear box

modcon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VN 3.8 / VP 3.8
Does anyone know if the 2002 VT 3.8 ecotec auto gear box is compatible with a 1995 VS 3.8 ecotec motor? Any help would be appreciated!

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Hey Modcon, it will bolt straight on, but the VS autos bellhousing is different to the VT/X auto. I had the same idea as u, purchasted a low Kms VX Auto, but the exhaust wouldnt fit around the VX's bellhousing and steering rack. You would need to get your exhaust modified and fitted around the VT auto, providing there is enough room between your steering rack, auto and chasis. Is this goin in ur VN/VP or is it goin into a VS?

modcon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey Modcon, it will bolt straight on, but the VS autos bellhousing is different to the VT/X auto. I had the same idea as u, purchasted a low Kms VX Auto, but the exhaust wouldnt fit around the VX's bellhousing and steering rack. You would need to get your exhaust modified and fitted around the VT auto, providing there is enough room between your steering rack, auto and chasis. Is this goin in ur VN/VP or is it goin into a VS?
It's going into my mates VS, we are convinced his gearbox is stuffed after two mechanics have told us!! Its not changing into second untill about 3500rpm, Do you no if there is anything else to look for that might need ajusting? like the VN/VP you can alter the kickdown cabel and it changes you gear ratio

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Nah, theres not much u can adjust on the VS autos, its all Electronic, soleniods do all the work adjusting bands.. Have you taken it to an auto joint?

Is that the only thing happening, not changing into 2nd until 3500? does ur gearbox slip??

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
i may be wrong, but i beleive the vt/vx converter is also larger...so that may cause dramas in fitting. im not 100% sure though, i cant remember what model they changed the converter on.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
yea sircruisealotVS u may be right, i was speaking to many auto joints round melb, asking if the VX auto would bolt in, all but a few said yes and only a few actually chatted to me about it.. In speaking to a one, he reacons only the shell has changed, didnt ask about the convertor thou, just wanted a good working auto :)

modcon

Reaction score
Members Ride
I spoke with my mechanic he advised me to avoid this option as cutting and changing the exhaust could get costly$$$ So we have looked and found a VS auto gearbox with about 120000km running time, $500 can't go wrong! It was going to cost $2500 for a rebuild - thanks for your help

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
No probs, let us know how it turns out =)