Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question RE: About to buy VE Calais 6.0L Wagon

ayalokin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Commodore
Hi all,

First time poster so please excuse if not asking in the appropriate section or if there are existing threads relating to my questions.

As the title indicates I am interested in purchasing a 2010 VE Calais 6.0L Wagon with 270,xxxkm on the odo - The vehicle has a good service history and appears to be in immaculate condition inside and out.

I have no experience with Holden's and my first car was a lemon which I recently received a partial refund for (Ford Focus 2011).

My understanding is v8 engines if maintained well should have a decent lifespan. I am aware the VE has a poor reputation particularly in the V6 variants (SIDI) timing chain issues etc. I can't seem to find any major issues online with the V8's apart from electronic/cosmetic related complaints.

I don't know what the vehicle I'm considering buying was previously used for but I'd guess the high KM's are probably from highway driving.

Are there any major issues I should be aware of with the car? (or have they all been ironed out with recalls?) What possible repairs could I expect at this point and costs associated? Any advice would be appreciated. Should I find something with less on the odo? (how much more life could I get out of the car roughly?)

The asking price is $10,000 with RWC supplied or $9,000 without. It has a full xforce exhaust system and OTR included.

I need the vehicle to last me another 3-5yrs.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
I'm confused, you have "no experience with Holdens" but you have VE SS in your Members Ride section?

The late VZ-early-VE Alloytec V6s did suffer a batch of bad timing chains which affected some (not all) engines, but the L98 6.0 V8s were/are largely bulletproof. I've heard of a few lifter issues but I wouldn't be too concerned. 270,000kms is pretty high but not overly high for a big, slow revving V8. Hell, I've got an early Alloytec VE with 260,000kms and it's faultless! My SS has 150,000km.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Failing lifters and fuel injectors are common as are collapsed strut top mounts.

ayalokin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Commodore
I'm confused, you have "no experience with Holdens" but you have VE SS in your Members Ride section?

The late VZ-early-VE Alloytec V6s did suffer a batch of bad timing chains which affected some (not all) engines, but the L98 6.0 V8s were/are largely bulletproof. I've heard of a few lifter issues but I wouldn't be too concerned. 270,000kms is pretty high but not overly high for a big, slow revving V8. Hell, I've got an early Alloytec VE with 260,000kms and it's faultless! My SS has 150,000km.

I just entered that in for the sake of entering something I am actually carless atm lol - I do love the VE SS and the VE body shape in general IMO most beautiful looking comm to date.

Thank you for the insight that is essentially what I have gathered from some google searching.

Very reassuring.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
At those kms, I would keep looking.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
At those kms, I would keep looking.

Me too, I wouldn't even bother looking at it with 270,000 km's on it....Regardless of it having a good service history or not
Too many things that could be close to needing to be repaired/replaced or are already in need of some form of attention with that many km's....
Engine, Transmission, diff, brakes, suspension just to name a few

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
If you can explain your logic and shed some light that'd be awesome

As @Tonner Matt says, many more components to a vehicle than just the engine that wear out over time.

If all of those wear items have been replaced in the not too distant past (which are documented by receipts), then it might warrant further consideration.

If they haven't, are you prepared / do you have the budget to replace all of those wear items in the short to medium term ?

EDIT: I presume this is the one you're looking at - https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Holden-Calais-2010/SSE-AD-5710107/?Cr=3

I get that it looks to be a tidy rig and the price is the cheapest in Melbourne on Carsales but them kms.

I'd be inclined to have a look at this one - https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Holden-Calais-2009/OAG-AD-16677829/?Cr=2

Yes more expensive, but driveaway price, statutory warranty from dealer, looks like full service history and much better kms at nearly 1/3 of the other one. Also appears to have a Walkinshaw intake FWIW. Just might need your negotiating pants on if budget is stretched.

Last edited:

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
As others have said far too many k's. For $5000 more you should be able to get something with half those k's.
Even with half those k's you would want to get it checked out. Only needs one bad owner and you could be in
for some major expenses. If that's all the money you have perhaps you should buy something else and wait
until you have a bit more.

ayalokin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Commodore
Thank you for the responses guy's I have decided not to go with the car and keep looking - a little disheartened as I had my heart set on that one but to be honest it didn't feel right - If anyone know's anybody who is selling a VE V8 that ticks all the boxes please let them know I may be interested. Prefer a wagon but will consider a sedan that has been maintained well (must be Melbourne based).