Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

question regarding insurance after accident

rayuki

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive 2005
hi guys recently i was in an accident and am awaiting for the assessor to get back to me regards weather its a write-off or if they will do repairs.

the mechanic had the car for 2 weeks but has sent in a quote now, i spoke to an aami agent and was told it was at $7.9k worth of repairs that the mechanic has quoted.

i am chasing up a copy of the quote for myself but i have to speak to the assessor to get it.

was just hoping for some insight into weather if repaired its still going to be ok to drive and what sort of prices these things go for.

pics:

9utytyne.jpg

enezedu6.jpg

usu5adeb.jpg

from speaking to the mechanic just before he sent the quote in last week it needs the following:

k-frame replacement, entire rear strut replacement (sway bar link, sway bar, control arms, radius rod, mount, brake disc etc, im guessing all need replacement), new tyre, replacement rear shocks, new front bumper, new boot lid and labour and whatever else. would that be about right for that sort of quote? also if all that stuff is replaced is there any chance of ####ing it up from a dodgy mechanic? i dont want a car that drives wrong if it gets repaired.

is there anything else i should be looking for damage wise to check? it hit in the rear wheel into the gutter and then rode that gutter a fair way, im suprised the mechanic hasn't mentioned any other damage underneath but that could be in the quote.

Danielzke

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commy
I recently got my k-frame, sway bar, control arm, radius rod done for 1/7th of that.
It does seem high but there is probably alot more damage..
Doesn't look too bad from the pics, if they pay up and fix it, can't see there being any problems

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
The way AAMI works (and most insurance companies under Aus assoc insurers) is that they'll get 2 quotes, and pick whoevers cheapest, except where you may provide one repairer of choice for the 'battle' for the job.

Regardless, AAMI put a lifetime warranty on repairs, so let the mechanic screw it up, you just complain and it'll be fixed.

rayuki

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive 2005
I recently got my k-frame, sway bar, control arm, radius rod done for 1/7th of that.
It does seem high but there is probably alot more damage..
Doesn't look too bad from the pics, if they pay up and fix it, can't see there being any problems

oh ok cool that sounds about whats done on mine and like i figured maybe the mechanic is inflating prices due to insurance and him knowing they really have no other option unless they want to tow it to another town.

The way AAMI works (and most insurance companies under Aus assoc insurers) is that they'll get 2 quotes, and pick whoevers cheapest, except where you may provide one repairer of choice for the 'battle' for the job.

Regardless, AAMI put a lifetime warranty on repairs, so let the mechanic screw it up, you just complain and it'll be fixed.

yeah i dont think thats happening in my case. they are going off this one mechanics quote i think due to the fact they can't get it done anywhere else in my town (gladstone) unless they tow it up to rockhampton. its like 2 months or longer waiting lists for all the other approved aami mechanics from what the aami chick told me.

but yeah atleast it has a lifetime warranty, just worried how long its going to take. the guy that did it (same guy who towed it) took 2 weeks just to get it on a hoist to assess damage. i guess if i had taken the hire car option they would have written it off by now due to the cost of them paying my hire car for me for months lol

if this does happen though, do i have to take the cheapest option or can i go with one i prefer? i dont want some dodgy #### doing a **** ass cheapo job just to "win" the battle for the quote. have heard bad things about this before.

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
You have to go with who they choose.
The alternative is if you whinge enough (like I did) they can write a cheque for the addressable damage cost and you go repair it - issue is, you lose your warranty.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
That's the 'bolt on' parts. Did they/he/she measure the body. If that stuff is bent I'd be sus. about the bit they bolt onto.

rayuki

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive 2005
That's the 'bolt on' parts. Did they/he/she measure the body. If that stuff is bent I'd be sus. about the bit they bolt onto.

I'll ask in the morning when I ring the assessor who just emailed me.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

rayuki

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive 2005
forgot to update this with the outcome. turns out the guy doing the work was a top bloke :) he ended up adding my bushings kit for me (Nolathane) which was for the entire car, and he did it in exchange for the boot lid (i told him not to worry about it as it was a tiny minor dint) and after having the car back for a few months now it is as good if not better then it was before :)

very happy with the service.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
I'm sort of confused as to why you're even worried about how much its costing to be repaired considering you're covered?

All repairers are under contract and governed by numerous motoring bodies and standards. And doing dodgy work isn't something that is taken lightly by a multi million dollar insurance company.

In short, if he does dodgy work, he will cop the dick from the insurance company in a very big way, and they'll go in dry.

I'm glad it all worked out for you, but honestly what did you expect lol