Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question Regarding New Radiator for 2002 VY

harri077

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY Auto
Hey guys,

I noticed when I came home that radiator fluid was trickling down onto the drive way from somewhere in the middle of the driver side part of the radiator, I didn't take a look at the temperature gauge when I was driving home so I hope it wasn't over heating while I was driving :/

Anyway so I checked on ebay and I found a few different radiators for my car, some seem to have a 26mm thick core which I assume is same as factory one? but there's also a few 52mm thick core radiators, would they even fit?? Question is which one should I go for? Also am I better off going for a full aluminum one?

For reference my Commodore is a 2002 VY Auto with about 260,000 kms on it.

Here's a few radiators I found, any suggestions which one to go for?

1. Holden V6 Commodore VY Holden Commodore VY & WK RADIATOR V6 9/02 - 8/04 AUTO / MANUAL

2. Full Aluminum Radiator FOR Holden VY Commodore V6 3 8L 02 03 04 2003 2002 2004 | eBay

3. 52mm PRO Aluminum Radiator FOR Holden VY Commodore V6 3 8L Auto Manual 02 03 04 | eBay

4. 52mm Aluminum Radiator FOR Holden VY Commodore V6 3 8L Auto Manual 02 03 04 | eBay

Interloper94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
Went through the same questions when my radiator cracked, came to a few conclusions.
The aluminium ones are insanely cheap and most likely poorly made, risking your engine, not just the money you put into the radiator. If you're gonna go aluminium, spend big and go to a radiator expert.
The plastic stock one in mine lasted 10 years, that's enough for me in terms of longevity.
Do you need the extra cooling capacity for a stock V6? what benefits will extra cooling capacity give you? your thermostat is set to 91 degrees and boy howdy i know I never really got above that even when giving it the beans.
Better off with a 81 degree thermostat for the head room.
Go with a trusted ADRAD radiator from bursons in my opinion.

gregaust

Reaction score
I got one a while ago from Repco , stock replacement was from memory $136. Has been going just fine . They all seem to fail on the driver side tank

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Before you commit to buy a radiator, I think you should make sure it's coming from the rad first.

Lots of Silvia drivers use the ASI rads, but their quality control is very inconsistent.