Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question regauarding insurance

trentvy

Dodges raindrops
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S pack
Gday all I was just wondering what that legalitys are about insuring a v8 on your P's.. Look long story short Ive touched the ass off another car who was a VU ss ute driven by a P plater. no damage to mine apart from a broken numberplate cover. his is a cracked rear bumper. look I said he talk to his insurance company and go through them. now if i dont claim on my car i dont pay an excess do I? they fix his car and my car stays as is correct?

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
You went into the back of him so its your fault and id say his insurance company will chase you for the money to repair his car.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
lol, you will have to pay for damages. His Insurance will pay him, then hunt you down. Regardless of whether he was breaking the law it is your fault.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
If your at fault it should be going through your insurance company, but either way you will be paying the acess to have his car repaired, or if he was a damn right prick and you have no insurance he could make you pay the whole lot, caus going through his insurance company will ruin a no claim bonus etc for him.

Depending on what P's and what V8 would depend if he was legally allowed to drive it, but going by he has insurance Id say hes legally allowed it. If he was driving a car he was not licenced to drive then his insurance companie or yours would try and weassle out of it, if it was a big enough claim. Either way you hit him from behind your in the wrong, do the decent thing and pay for his car to be repaired.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
now if i dont claim on my car i dont pay an excess do I? they fix his car and my car stays as is correct?

correct

but you'll probably still have to pay for the damage on his car

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
now if i dont claim on my car i dont pay an excess do I?
not only will you be footing the bill if you choose not to go through your insurer, you will most likely have to pay his excess as well since you were at fault.
a lot of companies have a little clause that states if you are involved in an accident and you are not at fault and can provide the details of the person who is at fault, you will not have to pay the excess, but the person at fault will have to pay it instead.

just go through insurance, less headaches and a lot easier.

trentvy

Dodges raindrops
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S pack
correct

but you'll probably still have to pay for the damage on his car

yeah thanks mate thats the main question that was worrying me. a little detail I should of added was I know the bloke personally and know for a fact his driving the car illegally without any exemptions. i was just wondering if i didnt claim on my cars damage I wouldnt need to pay an excess.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
not only will you be footing the bill if you choose not to go through your insurer, you will most likely have to pay his excess as well since you were at fault.

they can't make him pay anymore than the repair costs

a little detail I should of added was I know the bloke personally and know for a fact his driving the car illegally without any exemptions.

if he was driving it illegally his insurer may not pay it either

if he's a friend you may be able to just come to an agreement about repairing it without involving insurers.

BLOWN SS

Mong Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
I'd pay for it yourself should'nt be too much saves you paying excess and then getting penalised with your premiums going up.... my opinion anyway!!