Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Questions about a VE Maloo...

Willie Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Holden Commodore Ute
I have three questions regarding an original VE Maloo. Not having access to any in the states, and never having seen one in person, I've searched for pics but have not been successful. These are basic questions.
1) Does the LED third brake light pulse when first applied?
2) Do the seats have a dump release lever found in a standard ute? If not, how do you access the rear area?
3) What factory decals belong in the door frames (seen when the doors are open)?

Thanks!
Willie

Attachments

• Seatback Release Lever Ute Only.jpg
    Seatback Release Lever Ute Only.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 2010 VE GXP E2 Maloo 15.jpg
    2010 VE GXP E2 Maloo 15.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
1) No, no pulsing.
2) Yes. The version in your pic is a standard Holden ute seat back catch. This is the best version.
The Maloo has a lever lower down on the seat that's awkward to use, and works arse backwards.
2021-02-23 20.07.20.jpg

3) Right Door
2021-02-23 20.03.33.jpg

Left door
2021-02-23 20.04.40.jpg

Any more info needed?

Willie Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Holden Commodore Ute
Perfect. Thank you sir!

Yes, I did think of one more question. Do any utes have heated seats as an option?

Willie
30907z.jpg

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride

Willie Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Holden Commodore Ute
I don't recall if I've posted the following before, so just an FYI. Since my ute was completely disassembled in order to import it in, basically only the rolling chassis was allowed entry, then a donor G8 was purchased for the parts to rebuild it as a LHD. Unfortunately, the parts that were taken off were not imported and I've discovered that the majority of these parts were not allowed to be brought over. The list is quite extensive, and includes the engine, gearbox, front seats, windscreen, headlights, wipers, seat belts, to name a few. The U.S. equivalent from the G8 was used to reassemble it, including the seats. The G8 seats do not have a dump release lever. Imagine how difficult it would be to rotate the knob to gain access to the rear area, then rotate it the other way to put the seatback. And I never put it back exactly where I like it.... I recently acquired Maloo seat covers and just yesterday, noticed they do not have a hole cut out for the release lever. That's why I asked. Unfortunately, I found it nearly impossible to acquire a complete pair and shipping would quadruple the cost of the seats, so what I'm having to do is to keep using the G8 seats, but rebuild them with different foam to accept the Maloo covers. And what I'll have done is to install the standard ute release levers. I have one, but so far, no luck finding the other....

I watched a short video of a VE Maloo and it looked like when the brake was applied, the third light pulsed.... Also, in viewing countless pics of utes (all variants), I noticed none had heated seat switches. So thanks for all the info!

Willie
29612z.jpg

Reactions: Lex

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Needs more pics.....

Reactions: Lex

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Since my ute was completely disassembled

What a job you've done on one of our icons, great work!! What sort of reactions do you get from people who see it?

Let me guess - "That's a funny looking El Camino..?" :p

And yes..more pics please..!

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't recall if I've posted the following before, so just an FYI. Since my ute was completely disassembled in order to import it in, basically only the rolling chassis was allowed entry, then a donor G8 was purchased for the parts to rebuild it as a LHD. Unfortunately, the parts that were taken off were not imported and I've discovered that the majority of these parts were not allowed to be brought over. The list is quite extensive, and includes the engine, gearbox, front seats, windscreen, headlights, wipers, seat belts, to name a few. The U.S. equivalent from the G8 was used to reassemble it, including the seats. The G8 seats do not have a dump release lever. Imagine how difficult it would be to rotate the knob to gain access to the rear area, then rotate it the other way to put the seatback. And I never put it back exactly where I like it.... I recently acquired Maloo seat covers and just yesterday, noticed they do not have a hole cut out for the release lever. That's why I asked. Unfortunately, I found it nearly impossible to acquire a complete pair and shipping would quadruple the cost of the seats, so what I'm having to do is to keep using the G8 seats, but rebuild them with different foam to accept the Maloo covers. And what I'll have done is to install the standard ute release levers. I have one, but so far, no luck finding the other....

I watched a short video of a VE Maloo and it looked like when the brake was applied, the third light pulsed.... Also, in viewing countless pics of utes (all variants), I noticed none had heated seat switches. So thanks for all the info!

WillieView attachment 219609

Have you been in contact with these guys- Left Hand Utes USA
They may be able to source some specialized bits?

Willie Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Holden Commodore Ute
What a job you've done on one of our icons, great work!! What sort of reactions do you get from people who see it?

I could write a book on my experience, and I know you guys would all get a kick and possibly think it somewhat unbelievable. It's hard for me to just write about one or two, so I'll begin with how it all came to being for me... for now.

The one place in the world that I have a desire to visit is Australia, but it has never come true (yet). I have no desire to experience any other country. So up until about five years ago, I knew virtually nothing about Oz, and that includes the existence of utes. In fact, even the term "ute" is not in our vocabulary. The Ranchero and El Camino from years gone by were basically called "car-truck", never anything else. I have experienced since buying the ute how difficult it is for Americans to even say "ute". I was no different. And I had no idea that a ute sub-culture even existed, nor how iconic they are. That's probably because 95 out of 100 people who see my ute don't know what it is, nor where it comes from. When a guy in his Chevy Silverado pulls up next to me at a traffic light and yells, "Hey, what is that?" I typically reply with, "It's made by the same company as yours, LOL!" Imagine the look I get back! I've also heard, "It looks kind of like a BMW from the front." Some people say, "Cadillac?" I am shocked when someone makes a comment and knows what it is.

Since my purchase, I have personally changed. I have talked with so many Aussies, made many friends and totally opened up my eyes to a culture I never knew anything about. In fact, I want to visit more than I ever have. In a very funny way, I now feel a little out of place. Your experience with Covid compared to ours only solidified my desire to not be here, but that's another story.

Let me guess - "That's a funny looking El Camino..?" :p
And yes..more pics please..!

Yes of course, when the ute is close to being finished. I'm about 85 percent there. My goal from the beginning has been to make it mostly original, but with a few personal touches. I'm sure most of us feel this way.

For now, a pic from the front. I replaced the factory DRLs with a pair I fabbed with switchback LED strips, then tapped them into the turn signal circuits. I also added functional front brake cooling ducts, surrounded by halo switchbacks. These go amber also, but only at night when the DRLs are off.

Have you been in contact with these guys- Left Hand Utes USA
They may be able to source some specialized bits?

Yes, in the early days, even prior to buying (I did not buy from them). I discovered that they are willing to sell some ute exclusive parts, but at a HUGE cost. For example, they were asking $8,000 US for a decklid... plus shipping!

Here she is:
28186z.jpg

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
That's an awesome write-up and a great looking Ute Willie. You've certainly done it justice and hopefully it brings as many smiles to your face as it has for many hundreds of thousands over here for a lot of years.

Would be great if you could get over here one day, I hear the GTS-R Ute goes ok... ;)

For example, they were asking $8,000 US for a decklid... plus shipping!

Now that's just rude. You would get one sent from here for way less than that

When a guy in his Chevy Silverado pulls up next to me at a traffic light and yells, "Hey, what is that?" I typically reply with, "It's made by the same company as yours, LOL!" Imagine the look I get back!

haha, and the look when he sees you speed off past him..Do you plan on any performance upgrades?

Last edited: