Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Questions about bleeding brakes

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I'm going to bleed my brakes on my own ive done this years ago but I've forgotten some of it

1. when pumping the pedal to remove air in system should I press the pedal all the way down or do short presses
2. I have to start the furthest from the master cylinder ie rear left then rear right then front left then front right (right side is driver side and left side is passenger side)
3. I know its bad to let air in the master cylinder but for a fluid flush do I just remove almost all fluid in the reservoir and top up and then flush/bleed to remove old fluid

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
1) differing opinions. Some say half stroke incase there is a lip internal cylinder bore and hurts the seal. But full stroke generally is fine. Half stroke will do the job fine.
2)correct
3)suck all the fluid out and any gunk in the bottom (don't touch the pedal) and refill with fresh fluid. Then the slightest jiggle on the pedal should release an air bubble if one is present at the cylinder entry hole.

Good luck :)

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
and just to add to point 3, when cleaning out the bottom of the reservoir use a lint free clean rag that's been soaked with methylated spirits and allow the reservoir to completely dry out before adding fresh clean fluid.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I normally just crack a nipple and let it run through on its own. Repeat three times and your done.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Don't pump the pedal. The correct procedure is open bleeder, push pedal down, close bleeder, release pedal. Repeat until no air and clean fluid comes out.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
That's a two man job though. I was guessing he was doing it solo

If the container has the hose going into the fluid so it doesn't suck air back it then just open the bleeder and pump the pedal, being careful not to empty the reservoir. Better to have 2 people though, much faster.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
If the container has the hose going into the fluid so it doesn't suck air back it then just open the bleeder and pump the pedal, being careful not to empty the reservoir. Better to have 2 people though, much faster.
Agreed. I hate doing brake bleed by myself (even the motorbike front brake is a stretch to reach both ends at once).
2 people that work well together is always going to get a better, quicker result.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
'Pumping' the pedal is fine, it's a simple hydraulic system with the point of fluid entry being highest. When you back off the pedal it may draw a tiny amount of air into the caliper but it's not like the pads retract away from the disc. The most important thing is the pedal (master cylinder) is completely depressed when you crack the nipple closed. Definitely best with two

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Agreed. I hate doing brake bleed by myself (even the motorbike front brake is a stretch to reach both ends at once).
2 people that work well together is always going to get a better, quicker result.
This is why I just gravity bleed for the last few years. Always doing car stuff on my own. Does take a while to do the rear lines, as they drip through pretty slow.