Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Questions about kw, hp and torque

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Just curious about power of vehicles. My car boasts 117kw at 4 or so thousand revs. My brothers Astra is 91 or so kw. What makes a car more powerful? Is it horse power or kilowatt? I am trying to figure out what makes a car more powerful.

In reality, how much more powerful is my 5L Calais compared to a 91kw Astra?

Thanks.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
hP and kW are different units of power, they refer to the same thing. it's like inches and cm.

the old V8s weren't that powerful so it's probably not a whole heap more than your astra and perhaps not really much faster if you factor in the mass advantage of the astra

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
yeah, something like 1kw = 1.33hp... something like that i think.
torque is pulling power. i looked this up to help explain torque, hp is how fast you can supply the torque (sort of)...
For an extreme example of this, I'll leave carland for a moment, and describe a waterwheel I got to watch awhile ago. This was a pretty massive wheel (built a couple of hundred years ago), rotating lazily on a shaft which was connected to the works inside a flour mill. Working some things out from what the people in the mill said, I was able to determine that the wheel typically generated about 2600(!) foot pounds of torque. I had clocked its speed, and determined that it was rotating at about 12 rpm. If we hooked that wheel to, say, the drivewheels of a car, that car would go from zero to twelve rpm in a flash, and the waterwheel would hardly notice :).