Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Questions about my VX, help!

Jazzabel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Lumina
Hi, I'm going to sell my 2001 VX Lumina.
It has 190, 000 Km's, it's white.
Everything's fine to do with the car except I've been told it needs replacement valley cover gaskets for it has muddy looking water and also needs a replacement power steering hose. Is it worth fixing the problems or am I best off just selling it to someone who can fix Commodores? And what should be the asking price if I don't fix the problems? Just curious, because I already have some quotes on the cost of repairs.

Last edited by a moderator:

itsagixa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Would the cost if the repairs be greater than if you were to just sell it as is?
Think profit wise, what are you hoping to get from the car?

1991VNvacationer

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Vacationer 1971 HQ Kingswood
that stuff is easy to fix and shouldn't cost alot, but if you do it your self then it should be fine. i did the rocket valley gasket on my car, pretty easy job if you know what you are doing, only took me 1/2 hour. getting a mechanic to do it should be around $200.00, im guessing.

Jazzabel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Lumina
I have a friend who can pull commodores inside and out, but I'd be clueless. How much is the part/kit itself, do you know? (For the valley gasket).

Jazzabel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Lumina
I'd like at least $2500.
I don't want to rip anyone off, but don't want to rip myself off either.
I'd prefer to sell it as it is, but I' unsure if it'd sell or not, that's why I need opinions.

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
I rekon you could get a bit more than that, especially if you give the thing a few repairs. Bought my VX for $3000 and it was on 240,000k,s so u could possibly put it up for $3500 ono.
Thats my opinion anyway. Depends on the condition of the rest of it tho

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
Since you're in NSW and you don't need any safety or roadworthy, just sell it as it is, the whole idea is you want to make the car someone elses problem right. At the very most, flush the brown water out and replace with fresh green coolant, hopefully it stays green till it's sold.

If power steering is leaking it could affect a sale, if it's not leaking too bad then let it be. You'll never recover the money you spend getting it fixed.

If a buyer does proper checks and finds these problems then maybe offer to have them fixed but in all honesty it's over 10 years old, there's going to be problems.

I would think $3500-$4000 would be your price range with or without your problems fixed, because really, the car still runs fine with the problems right?

Jazzabel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Lumina
Yeah it runs fine. I just don't need the car, hence why I'm selling.
I think I'll still go for only $2500 tho because it goes out of rego on the 26th June.
So should I put it up for $3000, and let them knock me down to $2500?