Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Questions about window venetions

commodore1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
Hi I have some rear window venetians for my vn sedan. I am just wondering if they are dangerous. Should I have them secured how they are ment to be secured? With the plastic clips etc? Or should I go the extra mile to really have them secured? Also wondering if they are illegal.. Answers appreciated.

Please no comments about them rattling or saying they don't look good etc...

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
They rattle and don't look good..... but i think they were illegal back in the 1970's,maybe it was only certain States.They are still on 1960 Holdens at shows and i noticed on Ebay a while back a Nasco set to suit a EH went for several hundred $.

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
mine had slidey arms at the top and it secures in between the trim and window, once in properly they dont move and cant see how they be dangerous and i highly doubt they are illegal cos you could get them for the vn

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Anything on a VN will be illegal/dangerous in the eyes of the law. (VNs are the ultimate cop bait already, why give them an excuse to bend you over and go in dry)

In terms of them actually being dangerous, I have never heard of any venetians ever decapitating someone or being directly responsible for an accident, and they have been around for 60 odd years.

That being said they look horrible and rattle.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Yeah,memory just jogged,if they were fitted you had to have side mirrors,at least in NSW,but i'm sure they were in the mix when they were considering banning the deep tinted windows.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Venetians illegal?
First I have heard of that.
Had my VP pass rego 3yrs in a row with one fitted.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I purchased a fairly new VN SS back in 1993 with 50,000km on it, nice tight car no rattles, however it had a set of black venetians in the back window, they looked quite good but they were forever rattling, they were metal venetians from memory and all fitted correctly but I was for ever adjusting and tightening them but the rattles kept coming back, in the end I removed them and two things I noticed, no more rattles, nice and quiet, and the rear vision improved remarkably especially when parking.