Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Questions Re:Dvd Installation

Kall911

Run Baby Run,I'm Home!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series II Maloo R8
G'Morning Every1,
I posted a message in electrical(I know wrong section) in regards to help installing a dvd player...Now i have installed it and everythings working fine atm...Two wires i didn't attach were the dimmer in and the dimmer out,any need for these two to be connected?..Another question is am i able to connect a sub and amp with my head unit,my plugs at the back are as follows:->F/L,F/R,R/L,R/R,L-In,R-In For Speakers..I Also have two video in video out and a coaxial connection...Any Info would be much appreciated....
Cheers

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Bump,bump....... can anyone help this fella out?

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
F/L,F/R,R/L,R/R,L-In,R-In For Speakers obviously stands for front left front right etc so without a "sub out" just use rca cables between rear left and rear right to the amp and then connect the sub to the amp. im sure you know how to do all that but if not just ask. rear channels are fine for sub notes... better that front channels anyway

Kall911

Run Baby Run,I'm Home!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series II Maloo R8
Re:Sub&Amp Etc

Thanks for the reply yobbo88,
I have a sony xm504x 4 channel amp,so connecting the amp to the head unit as you said and running the the rca leads to the rear input of the amp Ok..So i figure i'd be using the rear speaker outlet to connect the sub only... i'm assuming i am only using the amp for the sub for rear bass etc and leaving the four f/r/l&r/r/l speakers hooked up to the head unit?Or if i'm only using the amp for rear output,how do i connect the sub and two rear speakers when there are only 4 outputs?I'd assume i'd make front speakers N/A? Would i be better also to hook up another battery to the amp as i figure i'd draw too much power from the amp and h/u on one battery...Now if i was to hook up another battery,would i have the red from battery connecting to the +12v on amp and the black wire from the battery connect to the body of the car or using the ground on the amp?Then there is a remote on the amp,do i connect anything to this?
Sorry ppl regards to all the questions,i'd ripped my old unit from my other car and system was already installed when i bought it...I should of taken notes when disassembling...The system was rigged as sub(sony kicker) rear running off the amp with two speakers rear(no front speakers) and the sound was awesome ...so i figure even though my system at the moment is running off the standard vt's speakers front and rear and sounds alright ,the amp and sub etc would greatly improve it.
So any help or correction would be well recieved.
Cheers:thumbsup:

phree

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim
Kall911 said:
Thanks for the reply yobbo88,
I have a sony xm504x 4 channel amp,so connecting the amp to the head unit as you said and running the the rca leads to the rear input of the amp Ok..So i figure i'd be using the rear speaker outlet to connect the sub only... i'm assuming i am only using the amp for the sub for rear bass etc and leaving the four f/r/l&r/r/l speakers hooked up to the head unit?Or if i'm only using the amp for rear output,how do i connect the sub and two rear speakers when there are only 4 outputs?I'd assume i'd make front speakers N/A? Would i be better also to hook up another battery to the amp as i figure i'd draw too much power from the amp and h/u on one battery...Now if i was to hook up another battery,would i have the red from battery connecting to the +12v on amp and the black wire from the battery connect to the body of the car or using the ground on the amp?Then there is a remote on the amp,do i connect anything to this?
Sorry ppl regards to all the questions,i'd ripped my old unit from my other car and system was already installed when i bought it...I should of taken notes when disassembling...The system was rigged as sub(sony kicker) rear running off the amp with two speakers rear(no front speakers) and the sound was awesome ...so i figure even though my system at the moment is running off the standard vt's speakers front and rear and sounds alright ,the amp and sub etc would greatly improve it.
So any help or correction would be well recieved.
Cheers:thumbsup:

What brand/model is the head unit?

Normally you would use the amp to power the sub and fronts and run the rears directly off the hu. Realise however that the stock speakers are only rated at 15wrms. They are not meant to be amped. Anyway if the smoke comes out of them, you have an excuse to buy decent ones.:)

The other thing is that you lose the ability to fade normally. i.e if you connect the sub to the front or rear out rca's, then the sub volume is affected when fading front/rear. This is why good hu's have a non fading/sub out. Some models allow switching of the rear outputs from fading to non fading for sub use.

You don't need to worry about extra batteries, for your setup. It shouldn't be an issue unless you run it for ages (hours) with the engine off. If you have problems with the stock battery, consider buying a higher quality one. Most car audio people will recommend a deep cycle model so if you do flatten it, it won't be damaged. These batteries are 2-3x the price (~$300-$400), but may last up to 10 years, Well worth it in the end. It may last you through two or more cars. I have heard of one (optima) that has lasted over 8 years without a problem, in a car/s with several thousand wrms on tap.

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
the connections on the back of the headunit... are there any rca connections? im going to guess there is at least one set hopefully 2 and at best 3. if there is one set, connect an rca cable to it and run it to the amp into ch 3 and 4 then bridge those 2 channels into the sub. if there is 2 sets, connect it to the set labeled rear and from there same thing. if there is 3 sets use the one labeled sub and again the same thing. the remote wire on the amp needs to be connected to a special wire on the head unit to tell the amp to turn on at the right time, the wire is usually named acc. or amp remote on. (check instruction manual)

so in conclusion. connect front and rear speakers to the head unit by speaker cable. connect amp to head unit by rca cable. connect sub to amp by speaker cable. remote wire by some form of cable take your pick

see pic below. a picture paints a thousand words. i dunno if i explained all this right but i may have

edit: wow that pic came out crap!! oh well any more questions just ask. i made the drawing at work on paint while trying to dodge the boss :thumbsup:

Attachments

• sound setup.JPG
    sound setup.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 167

Kall911

Run Baby Run,I'm Home!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series II Maloo R8
phree said:
What brand/model is the head unit?

Thanks for the advice phree,much appreciated,the head unit i've bought is a DVt,some unit you've never heard of,it runs well anyway,bought it for $400 and two of the model numbers match the model of my car,i'm happy with it and each to there own,i supppose...Thanks again,Cheers:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Kall911

Run Baby Run,I'm Home!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series II Maloo R8
yobbo88 said:
the connections on the back of the headunit... are there any rca connections? im going to guess there is at least one set hopefully 2 and at best 3. if there is one set, connect an rca cable to it and run it to the amp into ch 3 and 4 then bridge those 2 channels into the sub. if there is 2 sets, connect it to the set labeled rear and from there same thing. if there is 3 sets use the one labeled sub and again the same thing. the remote wire on the amp needs to be connected to a special wire on the head unit to tell the amp to turn on at the right time, the wire is usually named acc. or amp remote on. (check instruction manual)

so in conclusion. connect front and rear speakers to the head unit by speaker cable. connect amp to head unit by rca cable. connect sub to amp by speaker cable. remote wire by some form of cable take your pick

see pic below. a picture paints a thousand words. i dunno if i explained all this right but i may have

edit: wow that pic came out crap!! oh well any more questions just ask. i made the drawing at work on paint while trying to dodge the boss :thumbsup:

Hi Yobbo,
Thanks for the advice,anyway going by what you've written and drew(got the gist of the drawing btw)rear and front speakers are to be connected to the head unit...i only have a rear r/l from head unit so connecting rca cable they run to the inputs of the rear r/l of amp...connect sub to the rear speaker output and my remote gets connected with the acc wire on my head unit,...correct me if i'm wrong and the advice is very much appreciated,cheers:thumbsup:

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
well remote wire is connected to the remote wire on the h/u, not acc or const, or anything else.
just to clear everything up,
stock speakers? yes/no
how many pairs of RCA's are there? 1/2/3

Kall911

Run Baby Run,I'm Home!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series II Maloo R8
Kall911 said:
Another question is am i able to connect a sub and amp with my head unit,my plugs at the back are as follows:->F/L,F/R,R/L,R/R,L-In,R-In For Speakers..I Also have two video in video out and a coaxial connection...Any Info would be much appreciated....
Cheers
Hi garfa,
I was told to connect amp by rca cable to the rear r/l connections...Connections are as follows:F/L,F/R,R/L,R/R,L-In,R-In For Speakers.I Also have 2 video in 1 video out and a coaxial connection,Or going by the box it says 4 pre-outs with 2v pre-out level and 1 Rca Av input And 2 Rca outputs and a video input for rear camera..Can i still connect a amp if there is no remote wire on the h/u?And your saying i can't use the acc wire going off the head unit as the remote?Only connections going off the head unit loom are as follows:Brown(brake wire),phone mute(orange),red wire(I assume is acc,instructions don't say anything otherwise),black(ground),yellow(battery) and a blue wire for auto antenna..So if you can offer any solutions and or help would be much appreciated,cheers:thumbsup:

Last edited: