Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Questions re. LS1 motor & transmission...

Vt_vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
carless for now
piston slap was due to the mexican factory that made the ls1 there was too much clearance at the top of the piston and made the piston slap the sides of the block instead of a smooth ride

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
piston slap was due to the mexican factory that made the ls1 there was too much clearance at the top of the piston and made the piston slap the sides of the block instead of a smooth ride

And that's the way Holden wanted them. Reason was apparently due to getting better fuel economy. Way to go Holden

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition

That's bullshit. Do your research.

The slap is caused by side clearance, not top clearance. The "Slapping" is caused by the cylinder to bore clearance being excessive. When the engine warms up, the expansion of metals takes out the clearance and the slap will go away.

It's a design flaw/fault with the motor, specifically the piston skirt design/length. The problem plagued LS1 motors right up to VY.

7100brendan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 CV8 Monaro
Fantastic !! thanks for the tip - it was a pretty safe bet that someone else had already done this conversion .....(but I had no idea there was an entire forum dedicated to these LS1 motors.....) - that story should help heaps.....

and thanks djm8 - The donor motor/box combo's I am looking at are basically all complete running units, including ECU and full harness. This *in theory* should make the actual conversion itself fairly straightrforward........I have done some engine transplants in the past with 308's, and also slotted a 250 2V motor into an XB panelvan many years ago, I am hoping that if engine and gearbox mounts are available from somewhere like Castlemaine Rod Shop, then I will do most of ther hard yards myself.........

:thumbsup:
Hi, this is very old thread however I am investigating fitting a LS1 & four speed auto into a 1971 Jaguar Series 1. I saw a few posts from yourself and others on the topic and I was interested to see if you actually went ahead with the project? Cheers, Brendan

Gosling1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore Series 1
Hi, this is very old thread however I am investigating fitting a LS1 & four speed auto into a 1971 Jaguar Series 1. I saw a few posts from yourself and others on the topic and I was interested to see if you actually went ahead with the project? Cheers, Brendan
Hi Brendan - yes its an old thread and yes I am still working on this conversion. Been a lot of progress since the last updates - the exhaust system is now fabricated and fitted, the engine & trans are in the vehicle and a tailshaft has also been fabricated.

I am currently working on the electrics - a complete VY ECU & harness has been obtained for the conversion and I am sorting that stuff out now.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Hi Brendan - yes its an old thread and yes I am still working on this conversion. Been a lot of progress since the last updates - the exhaust system is now fabricated and fitted, the engine & trans are in the vehicle and a tailshaft has also been fabricated.

I am currently working on the electrics - a complete VY ECU & harness has been obtained for the conversion and I am sorting that stuff out now.

Pics please.

Reactions: Lex

Gosling1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore Series 1

Gosling1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore Series 1

Attachments

• jag001.jpg